used toro 36 need quick response

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Mar 9, 2002.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i need a quick response here. in the morning i am going to look at a used toro 36. it is 5 yrs old with a brand new bagger and brand new 15hsp kohler engine. The machine has the floating sfs deck. The guy says he is selling because it has the tbar and he likes the pistol grips. He is asking $1100. What do you think this machine is work??
    I am going to check over the belts, blades, spindles, clutch and transmission is there anything else i need to check? This guy is a neighbor to my cousin so i dont think he will try to sell me junk.

2. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would guess the new Kohler engine is around $600 - $800. The mower would have to be in pretty bad shape not to be worth $1100. I think you've pretty much hit on the key points to look over. Remember to take your time, and act like you not interested. If you could get it for a $1000 or less, I don't see how you could go wrong.

3. New 15hp engine and bagger for $1100?

Very hard to beat that deal anywhere. You better buy it b/4 he changes his mind.

4. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I dont know man, 5 yrs is a long time in the commercial world. Just about the right time for all the little things to go wrong. Do you really want to spend your time fixing equipment in the field. I must add though that I replace my mowers every 3 yrs or so just so I can avoid this hassle. It may be worth it for you though. Ask how many hours are on it.

5. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I just wonder why he had to put on a new power plant already??? Or did he just change the engine for one with more horsepower? Make sure it tracks straight when you try it. Good luck.

6. dlandscaping

from mass

thanks for all the replies in such a short time. Brian, i was too wondering why there is a new engine on it. The engine and the bag are worth close to $1000 alone so if the machine works ok ill grab it. Maintnence and repair won't be much of a problem for me. thanks again guys.

7. dlandscaping

from mass

these Q's are for anyone but i believe stone is the expert on toros.
    the mower is in ok condition. It has the opc control to turn off the blade cluth. Is this how you turn off the blades on the toro walkbehinds? the owner is the second owner and just had it checked over by the local toro dealer. He said they did some undercarriage work for $200. He thinks it is between 8-10 yrs old. How can i tell, i couldnt find any numbers on the machine the only thing that i could tell that it was in the 90's was the opc control on the tbar. It does have a newer bag and a brand new 15 kohler on it and all gears including reverse work well. The tires have recently been replaced. Could you help me tell how old it is and how much you think it is worth? thanks

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

does he have the records from the service that has been done on it? also u might want to check with the toro dealer and see what they think about it.

9. Around 1991 OPC was standard. This machine should have 2 serial number plates. One should be on the vertical surface of the deck carrier frame on the right side (discharge side) of the mower.

The serial number for the traction unit could be in two places. On the horizontal surface of the frame either in the back or right side front by base of the engine.

If this does not have serial plates you might be receiving stolen goods. If that's the case then paying $1100 is out of the question.