Used Trac-Vac Price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soccerlawn, Nov 25, 2007.

1. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor, also current customer, down the street from me has a Trac-Vac (462Z) that his son used to use when he was in the business. It has been sitting under their deck for about 2-3 years. I cleaned up the carb and it started right up. So we just need to agree on a price, and I will pay him back over the next year through snow plowing and lawn maintenance. But I do not know what to value it at. The engine runs strong and consistent, and lots of little surface rust on the majority of the metal parts. But I can take care of that over winter. I will need to buy a new discharge chute, hose, mounting bracket, and garbage can.

The discharge chute alone will be $195 and I will have to find out how much the mounting bracket will cost.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy the whole unit for $1354 from Power Equipment Warehouse so we'll use that as a starting point. The chute is $192, hose kit is $180, mounting kit is $107 and I can't find a price on the can but since it's heavy duty let's just say $50. That's $529 just in parts to make it work with your mower. If you believe that the unit has depreciated 50% from new cost that's $677. Subtract your cost of new parts and you come up with $148.

The problem is that for a little more than half of what you'll spend on parts alone you could buy a whole brand new unit complete with warranty.

Or you could look at it this way. If you give him the 50% depreciated price of $677 and then add in the $529 in parts that you need then you will have $1206 invested in something that has been probably well used and was more than likely abused.
  3. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thanks for that site. I didn't know that they were that cheap, or I would have simply bought it outright in the summer.