Used Tractors: What's Important - Hours or Age?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Ursushorribilus, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

I have a local sales/swap magazine that lists fantastic deals on tractors from the rural parts of Maine, New Hampshire, and from parts of Massachussets. Some are a few years old with low hours listed, and often come with numerous attachments. Others are almost brand new with a bunch of hours on them, also with attachments. In either case, they are less expensive, or the same price (including attachments) as brand new models. Any thoughts/advice/comments are appreciated...Tony

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

diesel tractors are worth alot more $$ than gas and can have more hrs on them before any work would need to be done, all things being equel. 4x4 or 2wheel dr. loaders usually require a 4x4 unless its a large tractor if its a compact you need to know pto hp as it drops alot with a hydro unit.

Mac

3. Ursushorribilus

Thanks Mac. Let me bounce one of the more interesting ads I've found at you. New Holland TC45D with HST transmission, 45 hp, filled rear tires, quick disconnect 72" bucket and cutting blade, in "like new" condition with only 172 hours on it. Price: $19,000.00 or best offer. What do you think?

4. olderthandirt

from here

it's an good deal if it has a NH loader but I bet at that price it has a bush hog or one of the other after market loader. Nothing wrong with that it's just a matchig loader hoe or any implement made by the same manufacturer as the tractor makes the set up worth more. btw bought the same tractor last yr with 62 hrs on it and a new holland loader and paid $17,500 and had to spend another $225 to load the tires. So try offering $17,000 and see what they say. What Yr is it? late 02 or 03 model and you would have full warrenty.

Mac

5. Ursushorribilus

It's an 03 Mac, and I'm definitely going to offer him less. You think $17,000 is a good offer, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm calling right now...

6. Ursushorribilus

By the way Mac, tell me about your TC45D...does it "pull the load"? Does the drop in pto hp from the HST cause any problems for you? Would you buy it again if you had the chance to decide again knowing what you know now?

7. olderthandirt

from here

yes it does the job I bought it for, but I have a TC 30 gear that I love also, and it has almost as much power becuase of the gears.
    If your not doing a lot of loading I would buy gears. cheaper and IF and its a big if becuase all the dozers and earth moving equipments are hydro's but if some thing went wrong hydros cost afortune to rebuild or replace . Gears you need a clutch every few yrs or 3-4k hrs

Mac