used trailor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

well im about to get my lawn mower and said, hey i need a trailor, i saw this one that i really liked in someones garage, he had a commercial toro wb on it.. i know hes in the business too.. i was thinking about walking up to his door and asking him if he would sell it but first wanted to ask you guys what you thought about used trailors.. if it is going to break on me? do trailors go patoot after a while, or do they hold up? i guess its all on the condition of the trailor, so i guess my question is, how long can a trailor hang with day after day use of hauling some mowers?

Thanks,
    Clint

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just purchased a new 16' dual axle trailer with new tires. This thing is built like a tank, very heavy duty. I paid $1200.00 for it.. I wish I would have gone with the 16' to begin with. I agree with other posts that have said always buy more trailer than you think you will need. I would personally buy new over used.

3. KJC Landscaping

KJC Landscaping LawnSite Member

Clint, you have to look at a few factors. One, how much is this guy going to want for this trailer? What kind of shape is it in? How old is it? How are the springs? How much more for a new one?

If you like his set up, price around for a new one like his, and see what the cost difference is.

I have learned the hard way about buying used equip. Now I just buy new stuff. Sometimes you end up spending more money on repairing used stuff, then the cost difference of new.

Kevin
    Kjc Landscaping

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

who says its for sale? maybe he wants to keep it, if it isnt u can stil get it just offer a good price

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If he has a mower on it I doubt he wants to sell it. If someone came up with my equipment on the trailer wanting to buy it I would probably laugh at him.

Just telling you this in case he gives you a really crazy look.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's me, just being a jerk, but whats a "trailor"?
    :(

7. stslawncare

from DE

theres a price for everything isnt there 65hoss?

8. They never really wear out. A trailer will outlast three trucks.
    Mine's 9 years old and will probably last me the rest of my life.

Terry Tiegtemeyer told me they'll not depreciate below half of their new value.

Around here everybody's looking for a "deal" on a used trailer. I've actually heard of people paying more for used than they would have paid for new.

Dave

9. JSG

JSG LawnSite Member
    from MI

I would buy a new one. For instance if he wants $600.00
    for a trailer that you can buy new for $1200.00 you have to
    add up what it would cost to get the trailer into like new
    condition. Tires, springs, brakes (if applicable), shackles,
    decking, etc. As you can see it would'nt take long to have an
    additional $600.00 invested in your used trailer by the time
    you add up your parts and labor. Not only that but when you're
    all done you still have a used trailer. On the other hand if you
    buy a new trailer you get just that a new trailer probably with
    a warrenty. They look more proffesional and will last you
    many years if maintained properly.

10. stslawncare

from DE

some people maintain there stuff really well and keep everything in like new condition.