Used Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Grump-e, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Grump-e

Grump-e LawnSite Member

In my area is a Turf Tracer HP, 17hp Kawasaki, 48 inch cut, with mulching kit, bagger, velky, using Gator blades. Asking price is $2800. I'm told the mower is 3 years old with low hours.
    Any advice?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grump,

I really don't have much advice regarding pricing however there are some things you'll want to inspect. The weakest item on the mower, the engine is also the most expensive. I'd take a good look under the air filter to make sure that dirt isn't working its way past the filter. Also pull the dipstick. Is the oil clean or black and nasty? If you need to scrape the oil off with a knife don't walk away run. It couldn't hurt to have a dealer to do a leak down test on the engine either. They hydros should be in good shape unless they've been using something other than Mobil 1 for the fluid. It's a good idea to verify that the engine has a Kawi oil filter or at least a quality filter as well. I'd also check to see if they are using an Exmark hydro filter.

Plan on buying a new deck belt, PTO belt and hydro belt just for good measure. I like to replace these annually whether they need it or not in commercial applications.

Go ahead and pull the deck belt off one of the spindle pulley's so you can give the blades a spin. If they sound of feel rough they should probably be replaced. Structurally there really shouldn't be anything to worry about so if you see a crack or a weld from a crack repair I'd look it over very closely. You've got to do some really nasty stuff to a walk behind to get any of those types of issues.

The hydros are pretty much trouble free and probably one of if not the most durable part of the machine so just be sure to do a filter/oil change just for good measure.

At 3 years old there should still be plenty of life in the mower so just make sure and check the engine well.

Thanks

Terry

3. Grump-e

Grump-e LawnSite Member

Terry,

I did what you suggested. The mower looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I bought it yesterday.

Thanks

Grump-e

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grump,

Congratulations!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Terry