1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 25, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I was just wondering how those of you who have several employees handle uniforms. I don't make my employees buy their own, I supply them with 2 caps, 3 shirts, and 3 sweatshirts. And sometimes the uniforms I give them are ones that have been returned by an ex employee. They have been cleaned and are in good condition, but they don't look brand new.

I never thought anything bad about this but one time I had an employee say, "Dude! This is used! I'm not wearing that!"

It got me to thinking, am I bad for giving my guys used uniforms once in a while? I don't want to have to buy new stuff every time I start a new guy out.

Back when I was in school working at Pizza Hut they gave me used (but cleaned) uniforms and aprons all the time. So I never thought it was bad.

Anyway, just wondering what the rest of you guys do.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd tell'm "DUDE, hit the road!!!"
  3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with 90 on this one, if they are in good condition and I figure they are because of the image your company projects here on the forum, He can either wear em or hit the road.

I did restraunt work and didnt get new ones either but they were clean and in good shape.

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would hesitate putting on something that someone that I didn't know wore. I would just wear an undershirt underneath.

That is just me.
  5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

The shirts I wouldn't mind, but I would not wear someone else's hat.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I never thought anything bad about this but one time I had an employee say, "Dude! This is used! I'm not wearing that!"

That would be me, personally for some reason that grosses me out. What do you mean by uniform? Is it just company t-shirts and sweatshirts? Or is it uniforms like you get from the large uniform companies for auto shops and the like that you maintain? Either way, all the years I worked in the auto industry they would always start you out in new clothes when you started working there and you kept them as long as you were there. I never started a job with used uniforms from the big companies that took care of the shops. If you are giving the guys t-shirts and sweatshirts for work I wouldn't ask forn them back. I have a boat load of company t-shirts and sweatshirts from shops I worked at. They make good oil-changing clothes.
  7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

When I "give" out shirts to employees I want them back when they leave my employment. They are advertising and can be bad advertising too.

8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt waant to wear the hat myself either. shirt would be fine however.

i buy dockers casual pants at the local thrift stores used every year for work. doesnt bother me. they look nice, and cost 1/10th of the same pairs new. i get about a year out of them.

as long as the shirts, and sweatshirts have no major visible grease stains and such, what's the big deal.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I think that if you would put the shirt on yourself and wear it then I don't think it's a problem.

Toss the hats.....that's just gross.

What I meant was....if the condition is good enough that you would wear them then give them out. If not, throw them out.
  10. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

My .o2

I used to work in a warehouse where all employees had pants and shirts supplied to them by the company, they were rented thru Max. I Walker mine were unsed by someonelse and so were everbodyelses. As long as they are cleaned and as the kids would say (cootie) free I dont see anything wrong with it. If the employees dont want to wear the cloths you provide them with then give them the option to purchase a new uniform with the discounted by back by you plan??

I was happy to have a uniform less wear and tear on my personal clothing.