1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used vs. New Toro dilema

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wpines, Mar 15, 2004.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 2001 toro, 27 kaw, liquid cooled, 60" deck with 160 hours for $6,000. There's no warranty left, more years than hours. The guy bought an 01 leftover in 02 and tried to make a go of it for one year in 03. Here we are in 04.
    A toro dealer has an 03 leftover, new toro still in crate, 23 air cooled kohler, 60" deck, full warranty for $6,495 plus tax.
    What would you do and why?
  2. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

new toro for extra $500 definitely. You get the warranty and it is NEW... I am about to buy a 2002 Toro Z 20 kohler with a 52" cut for $4900.........Only 41hours on the machine!!!
  3. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

The '01 deck is a fabricated deck with the sloped leading edge, The '03 deck is the formed deck with the bullnose leading edge. Any difference in cut quality?
  4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know an outfit that bought 4 new toro mowers last season .The toros broke down more than any commercial mower I have experianced.
  5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Downside you are steppin down in power for a 60 inch mower 23 hp not goin to be enough. We have 23 on our 52. Upside you have a new mower with a wrty.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yep it will cut grass but when the growin gets tough, the 23 may not be exactly what you need.
    I personally am a fan of higher hp and torque. A 26 or better yet 28EFI is the only way for me. What you save in money on the initial purchase may be wasted in lost productivity in tough mowing conditions. Don't get me wrong, a 23 is a good motor but you are spinnin a 60" deck and hydro drive units too. It works nice in dry light growth. It can be a different story in wet heavy conditions. Just my thought cause you asked. Good Luck.
  7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

how about more detail,like what was causing these machines to break down,it seems your reply is really you that had the problems by the way it was formed..