Used Walker gas vs. diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by amanda8950, Jul 24, 2007.

1. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

I found 2 Walker's local to me with around 600 hours on each. 1 is the model MDD ( 20 hp Kubota diesel ) and 1 is MT26 ( 26 hp EFI Kohler ). Both with the 48" deck and GHS systems. Both looked to have been maintained and kept very nice. The diesel is about $1200 more. Is it worth the extra money for the diesel engine ? Thanks
  2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The diesel costs more up front but should last longer with less routine maintenance (no plugs, etc). I've used Kubota diesel's and you can't go wrong. Life expectancy for the Kohler approx. 3000 hrs. for the Kubota 5000+ hrs. My local Kubota dealer said he had 10,000 hrs. on a Kub diesel. Granted he is selling these things for a living. Plus if you ever sell, the diesel will have a higher resale value.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

those numbers he gave are WAY high.

That Kohler EFI , you should see 1500-2k hours on average. Very rarely do you see more.

The Kubota, i think 5k is a high number but i have seen a few in the 3k plus range. 5k I still think is way on the high side.

But then again, it all depends on maintainence. Even the best in the world can't prevent wear and tear.