Used walker mower price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blueribbonlawns, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking at this used 2006 walker mower it is a trade in and the dealer has put in a Bran new 26hp kohler efi. the mower has 200 hours on it and a $500 service new seat tires ect, He is asking $8000 but he also has two more
    2004 26EFi 900hours $3000 service asking $7500
    2002 new kubota 24 hp gas and new 48'' deck $3000 service
    What do you think about these prices?

2. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Why does a Walker with 200 hours need a new engine or 1500$ in service? That just seems odd too me, under normal wear it shouldn't need to spend that much in 3 years total service for a machine with a 1000 hours unless you blow gearboxs.

3. Blueribbonlawns

The guy said the engine blew from overheating so the owner traided it in.
    OH woops thats spost to be $500 in service sorry.

4. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I was wondering the same thing about 200 hours and all that money. I have heard that they were having trouble with one side overheating because debris was falling in there and causing it to overheat. Don't know if that is true or not. I just got a liquid cooled that I'm excited to try if the snow would ever melt.

5. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hmm.. I always just buy used late model walkers, usually in the $5-6k limit being within 3 years old and under 500 hours of use. I've never gotten a bad machine this way. I did get one that later I found out had been flipped (rolled maybe a better description) but with proper repairs made by the previous owner I still have it and have not had a single issue. The most costly items on a walker to have serviced other than the engine are the hydros and transaxles. If those seem to check out OK to you and the dealer is willing to stand behind them for X amount of days after purchase... maybe consider it. I am fortunate to have a REALLY great dealer in my area that stands behind even his used machines with warranties. Check to see if this one will too.

6. Blueribbonlawns

It looks like its in great shape but i dont know about the price

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the 25hp? or the 31hp EFI? Just curious as I've never been able to sell a 31(because of the price) and my distributor refuses to stock, order, or even acknowledge the existence of the 25.

8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Mine is a 25 but like I said I haven't used it yet. The dealer is also a distrubutor for walker so he see's and deals with hundreds a year. He said it was a good motor. He showed me one of those efi liquid cooled 31's and said that those make up to 40% of his sales now. Those are real expensive though.

9. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

lol I know that with the availability of the 31hp with the new 52 ghs deck that you can increase productivity over the 26efi with the 48, but I have to wonder when you start approaching a $14k price tag on a mower like that if you are really that much further ahead of just buying two used late model 26/48's for under $12k??
    I don't know how many accounts the original poster of the thread is looking to cut, but I don't know that I would venture to spend more than about 5-6k on a used machine until you are sure you can recoupe your investment in a reasonable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I love my Walker equipment and I'll never run anything else on my residential accounts, but you better be cutting a lot of grass to justify the price of the brand new or almost new machines. I know its been mentioned before, but maint. is key on these things. If you do it regularly and keep them clean they will last A LONG TIME and make you a lot of money. That being said, you can buy a really nice unit for a really good price if you give it a little time.

10. SpruceLandscape

from ohio

200 hours... new seat, tires, and engine??? Something's not right there... Should be able to get 1200-1500 hours out of a seat unless something happened to it. Tires should get you around 1k hours unless abused or run on a lot of pavement. I wonder if this mower was ever on fire??? is the hopper new or original?? What shape is the wiring harness underneath the hopper and seat? Does it look like anything else has been replaced? what kind of warranty are they willing to offer on the mower other than the engine?