used walker mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sunchaserman, May 25, 2003.

1. Sunchaserman

Sunchaserman LawnSite Member

I just recently bought a used Walker Mower Model M36-42. It has a 42 GHS with only 350 hours 16 Hp Kohler. The mower works great and I have absolutely no complaints except that I wish I had bought a Walker years ago!
    I'm interested in refurbishing it to make it look new. Paint, new gas tank, decals...etc..
    Any suggestions on who might do this type of work in NC?
    Thanks..

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

You should be able to do all that stuff on your own. The paint and decals are available through Walker. The fuel tank you should be able to purchase either through Walker, or through your dealer.

3. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

Hey there fellow Walker owner. If you are in the Raleigh, NC area, beware of the Walker dealer in Durham. I have had good results with the Walker dealer in High Point, NC.

Good luck.

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had good luck with the Dealer in High Point. Thats where I bought mine. Got a good deal on the mower, but had better luck on accessories with the dealer in Asheboro. Bought the Aerator attachement there 250 bucks less. Anyway....Weno is great. Ask for Rick.

5. Sunchaserman

Sunchaserman LawnSite Member

OK, thanks for the info. I'd like to find out the paint codes so that I can purchase the paint locally and hopefully cheaper.
    I've serched for an online parts and accessories dealer, however, I have found that most only carry belts, pulleys, tires etc...
    I'd like to purchase a light kit, new gas tank and mybe even upgrade my deck from a 42" to a 48" GHS with the tilt up system. My mower is older and doesn't have the tilt system.

6. grass-scapes

I bought the light kit, rear discharge deflector, and all my spare belts and pins at weno in High Point. Im sure they can get anything you need. You can also order walker paint from them either in spray cans, or brush on. You can get blades online much much cheaper than at your walker dealer. Check your blower. if the blades are worn, you may need to replace them to get proper "suction" under your deck.

7. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

just curious, I see my comp. uses walker... Have you used exmark zero turns and if so, whats the pros and cons of the two machines.
    thanks

8. anyone have the telephone# to that dealer in high point. i'm looking to replace some of the walkbehinds this year? our local dealer here in va hardly every gets anything in thats used and worth a ****.

Sunchaser, i'd be careful swapping those decks. i had the same idea but our dealer here tells me that the 16 horse is fine on a dry yard but with heavy leaves or tall grass it will not perform up to the walker reputation, because it puts too much strain on the machine. thats the sole reason i don't have a walker yet!

9. grass-scapes

869-2312 Weno Power Equipment
    I hardly ever see used stuff over there for walkers.
    Im looking for a mulching deck myself.

10. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

Grass-scapes... I own a MT20. What did you pay for your aerator?

Sunchaserman - I priced the tilt-up deck option and I think it was $500... that's only for the tilt up structure.... another deck would an additional cost over that.

Watch out for after market blades.... I have a set of Walker and a set of no-name aftermarket blades that came with the used Walker I bought. The after market blades that I have are softer than the Walker's.... I know this becuase I sharpen my blades by hand with a ******* file and the aftermarkets sharpened very easily...... while the Walker blades took a lot more effort. The both cut well, but I think the aftermarket blades lose their edges quicker.