Used Walker price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Shaw, Dec 24, 2003.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I have been offered a deal on a 95 Walker. It has the 20 hp lights, power dump and comfort seat also the deflector. 1300 hours I think. $3850.00 I think it's a good price but wanted the opinion of some of you guys more experienced than me. Thanks DS:drinkup:

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I just sold a '95 Walker Kubota diesel 20.9hp, lights, 2500hrs. Motor was completely rebuilt at 2200hrs. I pretty much gave it away at $3500.00. That deal sounds good to me. :cool:

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It's an OK price for the hours, perviding the high wear items have been replaced in the near past. I belive blue book is about $2500.00 to $3000.00. Check the blower housing for wear, reach under the top side and feel for deep groves in the metal. Average life is 500 to 800 hours. Check all belts for cracks and pullies for worn groves. Dirt particals get embeded in the belts and cause slippege that causes excess pully wear. Check under the deck, the raised baffel metal wears thin, check for gouages in the housing from the blades hitting solid objects. Don't let a shinny machine lead you to thinking it has received top notch care. A lot also depends on who run the machine, owner or hired help.

Gene

4. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

David send me a private message with your phone #.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems high to me.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

An 8 yr old machine...for commercial use?
    Lot of hours on motor, ton of 'potential problems' due to wear n tear...I would hope you could find a better deal, any 2nd hand machine has the potential to be problematic, check it thouroughly as you certainly don't want problems as repairs can be costly and time lost is something you don't want just to save a few bucks.

Lease a new one, warrantee is worth the dollars.

Tony.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Break downs are costly even with a new machine whether you buy or lease. My new Z was at the dealers for 4 weeks this season. Most of the problems were cover by warrentee but I was still out 4 weeks worth of use. Last year was even worse.

Gene

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that Gene, I hope next year goes better for you.

You are right, just my experiences of buying 2nd hand aren't as good as when buying new, no brand is faultless, it just sounds like a lot of money for that vintage of mower.

Walker do make a good machine though, I hope it goes well and earns heaps, they are a fun machine on the smaller jobs, love their steering! Good luck, and have a great new year folks!

Tony.

9. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

Well I trust the guy. Don't think he would steer me wrong. Though obviously I wasn't sure of price.

10. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

My two cents says price is right. We have a 93 model. Unit has over 4000 hrs on it (4 motors). ALL other parts are orginal and we have abused this machine on occasion. Blower has wear but still works. Not planning on replacing it anytime soon. We bought this machine new for around 12 grand. Bought a used 97 model with around 250 hrs for 4500.00. Bought another 96 model w/ Kubota gas last year for 4500.00. All machines got used nearly everyday last year and we will be using them the same this year. Walkers have held up well for us. Good Luck.