Used Walker question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 5, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking at a used walker 36" deck with a 16 kohler mag engine. Since this is my first major purchase of a used mower I was wondering if I should keep looking for a better mower or take the deal on this one?

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

how much is it? how many hours? GHS? I found that my toro 36 walk-behind was stronger and faster than my 42" 16hp walker. Not to mention a hellofalot cheaper.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

There are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a Walker. Do you have an efficient way to dispose of the clippings/leaves? Are you doing small/large properties? Do you have gated properties? Walkers have there place in the market of mowing, just not every place.

4. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

it has about 1200 hours on it and is going for about $1500 which seems like a steal but then again why would someone be selling it for that cheap?

I dont have that many properties right now since I just am getting into the business a few months ago but every LCO here in Auburn runs Walkers and for that price it seems great.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Price does seem cheap. Any idea how old it is??? Who serviced it, can you talk with them about the mower. In my area 95% of us run Walkers and there are only 3 dealers that sell them. If I'm looking at a used one I can always get info on it from one of the dealers. If not will they let you take it to a dealer to check over. Might be worth it.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had looked into a used walker as a leaf machine or a backup and just about everyone I talked to about purchasing a used Walker said that if a used one ever came on the market it was usually ragged-out, which in an off-handed way is a complement to Walker, I quess.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

One dealer near me gets all the repos from the area, he has some good stuff from time to time. Other than that though you're probably right locutus, we trade them when they are tired!!!!

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I run two Walkers with 20hp Kohlers. One I bought used, the other one was new. I love the Walkers, but there are a lot of grease fittings to keep up with. Therefore, if whoever had the one you are looking at was a little lax in maint., it could come back to bite you. My used Walker was rough looking, but had been pretty well maintained and has not given me any trouble. Just look the machine over real carefully. Also, check the hour meter if it has one. I would consider it high hours if it is over 1000hrs. on this model.
    That mower is the bottom of the line Walker. It really is considered a homeowner machine, not a heavy use commercial model. It might be ok if you are only using it on a few yards/week.:)