1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

used walker ???'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steelcity, Feb 17, 2003.

1. steelcity

steelcity LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

hello everyone i have just seen a used walker for sale with 1500 hrs on it 42" deck and a 20hp engine in the paper for $3500 cdn. this is the 2 time it has been advertised. he is also selling another one but it is out of my price range. i have not seen it yet but will call soon to find out more info. i was wondering if this is a good price, and if i see it what are some things to look for? i am a solo op and would like to make myself more efficient this year but do not have a lot of extra cash yet. ( i am looking at buying a house this year)

thanks for your help!!! :blob3: :blob4:
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Its tough to get a good idea on the machine without knowing the year. I find the 42" deck to be a disadvantage...we'd prefer the 48"GHS. Look to see if it has the big or small catcher...the big one is 9.5 bushel...holds quite a bit of grass.
    In the Walkers around here it seems that most guys are getting 1500-2000 hours out of a motor. So if thats not a new motor, which im doubting it is, then you might expect to be putting one in soon. The Walker is an awesome machine...once you get one you'll wonder how you ever worked without one.
  3. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Your post said that you are trying to make yourself more efficient.
    Are you currently picking up clippings, and does your market require this? If not, picking them up will definatley cut your productivity idea. a Walker is a good mower for high end props with alot of landscaping or high end cultured lawns that require clippings hauled away. If not you could do better with a mower that mulches. go to the Exmark site and look at some of there approaches to mowing with one machine, and deck options.

I am not anti-walker I think there a neat machine for the right application, after lookingat a walker I really became interested in the Turf Mngt industry.