used Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Shaw, Jul 11, 2003.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I've been offered a deal on an '02 16 horse walker. It is an GHS with a 48" deck and low hours, $4500. What do you think is it a good price? Dave

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

NO....I would want more power......

Gene

3. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I had a 16hp last year and sold it for about the same price. Mine had 30 hours on it.
    My local dealer scared me of the OHC motor, he said it would have a short life.
    I have heard many conflicting opinions since.
    I had no problems with mine. I now have a 26hp EFI and have had it in the shop 3 times since March.
    I think/hope it is now fixed.
    That is a good price, you have a two year warranty and if the engine goes bad they will replace it with a 18hp push rod motor.
    The problem with the OHC motor is that dirt/sand gets around the timing pulley's and eats them up. If you cut "good" yards with little grit you should be OK.
    The 16 had OK power for my 42" deck.

4. David Shaw

More Power, ......yeah I'ld like more power too. But this may be the only way I can afford to get into a Walker for now. Anyway i'm not exactly jumping at it. Just giving it some thought.Thanks Dave

5. David Shaw

More Power, ......yeah I'ld like more power too. But this may be the only way I can afford to get into a Walker for now. Anyway i'm not exactly jumping at it. Just giving it some thought.Thanks Dave

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Dave I have never owned a 16 but I do know they are rated as homeowner models. I don't want to discourage you but I would like you to at least demo a 20 or a better yet a 26efi and compare it to the 16. In slow growth a 16 will cut grass. In heavier applications and weekly mowing it can work for yu but it is gonna have limitations.
    Walkers as we know are not speed demons anyway but a 16 cannot have the speed up kit installed.

Now the price, a 26 with 42/48 GHS deck goes for over 10K. Is the 16 a brand new mower with warranty or does it have hours on it?
    $4500.00 for that Walker isn't a bad price but you have to be able to know that it will work for you. How long will it take you to get return from it? Will it cut most of your properties? Can you ise it for other things IE spring clean and fall leaf cleans?
    I am not a full time business per say but I paid for my Walker 26EFI 42GHS in 1 spring clean season. Do the math and do the demos. If your situation is right you can make anything happen. Good Luck.

7. David Shaw

Well right now I just can't support a 26 if I could I would have one. I'm kinda stuck in that spot where you don't have the business for a 10,000 $ mower yet I don't have the equipment to grow the business. I am worried about the abilities of the 16 horse to do leaf cleanups etc.
    I believe the mower is a demo, it has low hours, less than 100. Like I said I'm not jumping. Been there done that and it won't happen again. That's why I'm getting you guys opinions, there's no better place go for that than right here.
    Sorry for taking so long to respond this past weekend has been kinda hectic. County fair gooing on, been out there a lot etc. etc. Thanks Dave

8. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a 20HP with 48" GHS and it has cut anything that I've tried so far... it's never bogged down. I only bought it in the spring so I can't vouch for it's ability to do leaf cleanup but I suspect that it will be great.

As far as a 16HP I would expect that you might need to move a little slower when the goes gets thick but otherwise it should be fine.

9. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

David, last year I used my 16 and 42" desk to pick up leaves with no problem. As for speed there was ,from my experience, little difference, neither is very fast, but you can put the speedup kit on the 26, at a price.

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me llike you are at a point where you are needing the increased productivity, but are unable to just plow into massive debt to get it.

My first Walker was something like 15 years old when I bought it. It was a 16 hp. It helped my business considerably. I ran it hard for 3 or 4 years then sold it and bought (financed) a 26hp.

My 16hp had a 42' deck and that seemed about right. I don't know how well the 48" would work. One thing to consider...I have heard that you can't get replacement 16 hp engines anymore. Now you have to go with the 18 and some sort of conversion kit. A friend had his 16 hp seize up and he was told it would be 6-8 weeks and $1500.00.