used zd 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zedosix, Mar 3, 2003.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking at a used (2001) zd 21 with 420 hrs on it. It will be for home use only. I have one property with 1.5 acres to cut and another (new) property with 5-6 acres of lawn to cut. Is this the right machine for the job.
    What should I look for when testing this machine.
    Also from what I have been reading, it has the stamped deck, should I be concerned about this? Any feedback would be appreciated. The dealer is asking $9,800. or $6,538. U.S.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Color me stupid, but I have absolutely no idea what a zd 21 is?

3. zedosix

A zd 21 is a kubota diesel powered zero turn.

4. rodfather

Ok

What size engine (horsepower) and what size mower deck (inches)? Then I can make a reasonable opinion on the purchase price.

5. zedosix

21 hp diesel

60" mower

6. rodfather

Ok

420 hours on a diesel is nothing. I have 3 diesel machines with between 1500 and 2000 hours and they run like you can't believe. 60" deck is good size and Kubota is a reputable manufacturer.

Regardless of the currency, I would say that is a good deal for how much they are asking.

Good Luck.

7. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

My question is why someone is selling a ZD-21 with only 420 hours on it. If I am correct that unit has only been out a year. Some folks that I know have bought the unit, and have universally said about the same thing about it. 1) Not enough horsepower to push a 60" deck. 2) Does not cut smooth except on good terrain only.

Demo it on your property and make sure that it will do what you want it to do.

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for leaks cracks or anything out of the norm. Test it on the property it is on run the deck check to make sure it turns good and that all things are normal. Then jump on that deal cuz its a kick *** deal that mower goes new for 9K and that HP for the deck is just fine youll love that mower.

9. rodfather

Glad to see someone else chimed in...I was getting to think this was some kind of personal conversation...LOL

10. zedosix

Thanks for the input everyone.

The guy who owned the machine is currently doing time behind bars and couldn't make the payments on it.
    The unit was repo'd and supposedly is in top shape.