Used Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 2Acres, Aug 19, 2006.

1. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a used zero turn for residential use 2+ acres with pine trees along the border of the yard and a slope in the corner of back yard. My budget is around +/- $3,000 depending on value.

I've looked at the following:
    '03 Toro Z Master SFS 52 deck 19 hp Kawasaki in the $3200-$3500 range 800 hrs.
    '00 Dixie Chopper XF 2500 Flatlander 60 deck 25 hp Kohler in the $2300 -$2500 range with 1500 hrs
    '03 Exmark 52 deck 19 hp Kawasaki in the $3500-$3800 range with 1100 hrs.

The Exmark is the cleanest. All drive and cut fairly well.

Any thoughts? Any other models to consider?

Thanks

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The toro witht he SFS deck, well the SFS just cuts the grass and dissperses the clippings, if you cut 2 inches of grass then you will have 2inch clippings on your lawn, it doesnt seem to cut them any finer.

If I understand a flatlander correctly, this mower is made for top speed and doesnt do very well in a hilly situation, I dont know how the ground is in that part of NY.

The exmark may give you the best results of the 3 listed, I dont know about the price vs the hours.

I do own a toro with an SFS deck, nice cut but the clippings are an issue witht he mower

wayne

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Just remember the air cooled engines are only gonna last you until about 2000 - 2500 hrs if they were taking proper care of them. So consider what it would cost to replace an engine when buying used.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would not buy any of those mowers, with 800 hrs and up, the engine is pretty much half way there as you don't know the history of usage.
    If the eXmark is about 500 hr or less, I would go with it. As Trivantage deck is a lot better than any of the three.

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

that tri vantage deck is the best out of them all but a hp lazer will not hold hills well plus it has the kawajunkie on it. just because the dixie is labeled a flat lander does not mean it wont hold a hill after you get some time behind the sticks it will hold a hill better than the rest,and it has a kohler

6. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick response, one more I looked at.
    '00 Bunton 61 deck 25 hp Kawasaki with 900 hrs $3500

7. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If it was my choice i would lean toward the exmark , don;t let these guys tell you that kawasaki motors are junk . I have owned both k.w. and kohler and the k.w would quit first in an east texas fight , them kohlers aint got it man im sorry i wish they did it's an american company it should burn down a kawasaki but the fact is --IT WON;T .

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i work and sell these things for a living and the sad fact is I HAVE DONE MORE WARRANTY ON THE KAWAJUNKIE THAT THE KOHLER.also you can not short block a kaw. you have to buy a whole new engine. tell that to the owner of the lco whose guy did not check the oil
    on average some of my guy and gals put over 500 hr's on there mowers yearly the kohlers last over 2500 hr's i have never heard a kaw lasting that long.

9. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you work on them for a living you would have to know more about them than me ! I know this. A kawasaki will never rattle because the lifters wont "pump up < kawasaki has a solid lift> I also have seen on more than one occasion an equal contest in torque between the two brands . It's what I call the bog down test, run the same deck size on the same brand of mower and set the rpm's at 3600 and put them to work- push them to their limit . Time after time i have seen the Koher stall <die > while the Kawajunkie as you call it keeps right on trucking. Now this does not have anything to do with short blocks or how long they will last . I surely realize, that But I don't believe a Kohler will outlast a kawasaki Nope .

10. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Also you might want to look at the MTD cub tank or a Lesco Z2, you can usually find them with little hours for about half price and they are good mowers just real poor resale value in my area anyway.