Used ZTR

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by larryinalabama, Jul 15, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Would 3000$ buy a deceient used ZTR, something around 50"?

2. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

Larry, I would think so. Mine is worth about that much and still going strong. It is a 2001 Exmark Z 48 cut. Last year I did have to replace the engine. So I also went ahead and replaced the seat(wood had rotted out), had the deck welded in a few spots, and had the pumps adjusted. When I got it back it was like a new mower. Anyway my point being, I decided to sink money in that one instead of buying a new one. I plan on keeping this one for years to come.

3. larryinalabama

How amny hours will one run, I see some on ebay with 1500-2000 hours.

4. Dean of Green

That is what I have heard as well. Mine does not have that many hours. But as I said I had to replace my engine. I now change the oil every 50 hours. Very expensive lesson. Keep the engine service and the other factors are
    1)Deck.........have it welded before small issues become big ones. Much cheaper than buying a new deck
    2)Spindles......some will last forever and others will not........just luck of the draw in my opinion
    3)Hydralic pumps........these will wear out eventually, but from my experience they last forever.
    Those 3, along with the engine, are the big expense issues to keep in mind.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i have bought 3 great z's for around that price and gotten great service out of all of them, im bad about buying and selling so i dont know about the longevity, but ive never had a problem, ive always bought used a plan on continuing to do so.

6. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Gravely 34Z with 60 hours for 2500.00. The deals are out there you just have to be patient. The first thing that I did was narrow my search down to two or three mowers size and brand wise. I would search ebay, craigslist, and this site everyday. I finally saw the Gravely in Alabama on ebay for 2800.00 but it now and called the guy and offered him 2500.00 cash. He jumped all over it, but I had to drive 4 hours one way to get it. I think the drive was well worth it. Just keep searching and make a wise decision and you will find a good used machine.

7. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I just noticed you were in Alabama. Have you tried Southeast Auction?

8. larryinalabama

Ive been to Southeast auction but didnt buy anything.

I plan on going full time next year and Im not sure what size yards I will be doing. If someone wants me to mow 3 acers I want to be ready. I currently have a homewoners 54" Husquvarna rider that gets me through for now. So Im figuring 3000 for a used ZTR that can get me through the first 2 or 3 years.

9. Dean of Green

That sounds like a good gameplan Larry. I do buy my mowers new. My set up is a Walker and an Exmark(both 48inch cut). I usually buy my mowers through financing. I don't like to owe for more than one at a time. So currently I owe for 3 more years on my Walker. Which means I need to get another 3 years out of my Exmark. This also allows for getting maximum use from a mower. It has worked for me so far. Good luck with it.

10. larryinalabama

My plan is to keep Debt free, so Im forced to start out with some used stuff, I would go up to 4000 for a ZTR but it would have to be a real nice one. I plan on buying a Quick 36" new. I am still looking fora Box truck and that will run from 5000 to 10000$. No more money to invest at that point.