Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 7, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys buy used equipment as ur main equip? Ie: mowers, trailers,trucks...
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In a nutshell, NO. I did buy a barely used Shidaiwa stick edger, but thats it.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Trucks only...everything else brand new.
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

A couple trimmers and blowers. If a mower has low hours or you need a backup then yes. And trailers, yes.
  5. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Trucks YES Trailers NO Mowers MAYBE and Handhelds NEVER:)
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm w/ Rodfather - trucks only. They're NOT worth the big $$ brand new. Lettheinitial purchaser take the big hit. You can get good deals on 3-5 yr. old trucks if you keep your eye out for one.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YES to all above. it would not be prudent to pay full price if previously owned was as acceptable.

8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I always buy new. I pay full price but that includes a warranty and not worrying about how the equipment was maintained. Saves time and headaches which makes me money in the long run.
  9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I only buy new. I would consider a used trailer since there is really nothing to worry about except brakes and greasing the points. I am way to skeptical to buy anything that has an engine and is used.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Up until a few years ago I had bought more used equipment then new. That was back when I had more time. The key is to check everything over before you purchase it. If you know what to look for you shouldn't get burned but it can happen. Now have more accounts and children I less free time to do repairs on older equipment.