Useful life of equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jan 18, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

How does everyone average this? Say you bought a new mower, how do you figure out what it'll cost you /hour to run. many hours can you REASONABLY expect out of your machine. With proper maintenance etc of course.
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

2000- 3000 hours if lucky. Ok now everyone can brag.
  3. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I myself know a few that have 2500 to 3000 on their machines & claimed to have done nothing but routine scheduled maint. But...what is the realistic number?
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

What applications are you using the mower for? That is another question that should be asked. A machine that will be run over rough ground day in and day out will not last as long as a machine that is run over a nice smooth surface. Also, are you using it yourself, or will you have a crew using it? Basically, how is it being treated when not in the shop for maintenance?
  5. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

Well I got this _______( insert brand name here) with 6000 hrs and I've never even changed the oil or greased it........... LOL

I think it really depends on maintenance, we (or I..) maybe tend to get a bit carried away but.... After every working day, the equipment is all rinsed off and gone over. Fueled, greased, oil checked, general over-all (belt tension & condition, air pressures, air cleaners etc...) condition checked. Even though the manual doesn't recommend it, we change oil (synthetic only, not that much more expensive at only 2 litres per.) and filter every 50 hrs max. We use a moly lube at any pivot or friction points that don't have a grease nipple. As well, every winter (as a matter of fact I've got 3 machines in pieces in the corner of the shop now) we pretty well take everything apart, clean, lubricate and reassemble. We also put a good coat of automotive wax on every painted surface, it makes it a lot easier to keep clean.
    It may sound like overkill on something that gets replaced every 3 to 4 years (for us) but they tend to look like new for the whole time we have them. I also (literally) have guys fighting over them when it's time to sell.
  6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

They say air cooled engines 2000-3000 hours and liquid cooled 5000-6000. that's what I've heard from several people anyway, and that's seems about right from my experience if maintained propoerly.
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

dont know about everyone else but i would not want to see what a mower would look like after 3000 hours of abuse on it, and i sure as heck would not want it in my fleet thats for sure.
    what i do and quite a few othe contractors around here do is sell off there mowers after 2 years and buy new. keep your fleet looking new and you rarely have to deal with any major expences like engine work or hydros. A $9000 dollar rider with 1000 hours on it will ussually go for about 6000 dollar in my market. Ijust like having my crews looking good and problem free and this is just my way of doing things.