usefull info on Toro 21 Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Mar 26, 2005.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

My 21 proline is a few years old and if your like me I have a bungee holding the front wheel adjustments together. If you use another bungee you can open the chute more to catch more grass. Put one end of the bungee around the small steel rod that supports the end of the bag, then bring the bungee around the big black handle on the mower that locks the bag to the mower, pull tight so the handle keeps the chute as open as it can, then bring the bungee back to the rod that supports the end of the bag. I found that when I started doing this last week I can hold about a quarter up to a third more grass. Yes my mower is on its last leg.

2. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I guess if the chute is not open all the way that would help.

You should also wash the bag with a garden hose sprayer once in a while. The pores on that cloth bag get clogged and disrupt the air flow. It also cuts down on the dust in the face.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah.... I'm also rather un-impressed with the Toro.

5. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Toro could definetly improve upon the height adjustment parts on these machines. The wheels/tires themselves work well, its what holds them on that needs improvement. But just like most everything else today, they are designed to wear out. If they built the perfect machine how could they sell all those expensive replacement parts. They are still fairly bullet-proof and they take A LOT OF ABUSE.

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

The cables seem to break a lot on the personal pace models... at least they do on mine. The wheel height adjusters wear out on a regular basis as well. Rear tires are good for about 1 season.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The personal pace part I'm told is much more operator friendly, which probably makes that mower a much better investment dollar for dollar than the commercial. Just start looking away from Toro for parts if the regular replacement of those items gets to you. Take a bad Toro wheel and find something better that will work as a replacement. Take a set of cables elsewhere and custom ones made that are stronger but will still work.Think of custom shops in your area for other items that use cables.

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

The mower was purchased at my toro dealer w/ the aluminum deck. They've honored the 3 year homeowner warranty with commercial use, which has saved me hundreds. I love the mower, its easy to use, but my older comm. BBC model holds up much better. The height adjusters wear out on it though as well. The handle on the personal pace models is moving all the time, and that and the starting and stopping of the engine I think causes these cables to break so often.

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

same problem with mine. the cable breaking.
    This mower starts alright, but i'm still not impressed with the motor.
    The personal pace is nice though.

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The height adjuster arm cost $3.50 from J-Thomas. I would say 3 years to replace a $3 part is acceptable....The Personal Pace is a Homeowner Gimmick...They use belt tensioning just like the Heavy Duty system on the Prolines except you have to Push instead of Release Which makes Turning More Difficult....Envy has Exactly One Proline that he Bought Used Year and Hours Unknown.