Uses For Crushed Concrete

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnman25, Mar 9, 2002.

1. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

With all the constuction and debris material being recycled nowdays has anyone considered using crushed concrete,cinder blocks and bricks for walk-ways and paths ? :blob3:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I operated a recycling crusher plant for a year,and yes, these are all good uses for recycled concrete, brick, and asphalt. However, these items must be kept separate when recycled,or the resulting product is a mixture that is is very unattractive, nonconsistant and hard to find a use for. Crushed brick of the right size looks very good in landscaped beds, especially in commercial type landscapes. :)

3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

just put 50 tons of crushed asphalt in my drive way (over old crush n run) it works great!!! very inexpensive..

4. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I have wondered if it is possible to use the recycled concrete in place of crushed limestone (traffic bond used for patio base in my area). I have never had the opportunity to work with recycled concrete and don't know how fine or compactable it is. Has anyone else looked into this?

5. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

We are looking to create landscape rocks with it - as a filler material

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Be careful on using it for under pavers, make sure it has enough fines!

7. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Paul,

I'm sure you must mean not to many fines in the mix, right?

ASTM C2940 specification for graded aggreate material for bases calls for 0 to 8% fines (passing no. 200 sieve). While too few fines in the mix will allow bedding sand to migrate into the base layer, it can be easily fixed by compacting a thin choke layer of sand or dust over the surface of the base. Too many fines in the base will not allow the base to drain freely and cause increased frost heave and reduce base density and strength. 8% passing the no. 200 sieve is considered the best comprimise for a desirable base material.

I would think it would be rare to find recycled materials that have been tested to assure you that it would live up to industry accepted standards. If you could find a supplier that would perform regular quality testing it could become a feasable alternative to conventional materials. While I doubt it would have much economic impact, the environmental implications could make it well worth the effort.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We had a job(only 1000 sq ft) close to a recycle plant, so tried it. That was the first and only time, first couple of semi's all we got was 3/4", all most no fines, I thought I ordered 3/4" washed. i quickly shut them down and orded a load of CA-6 and told myself never to use recycled products.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Many concrete recycling operations make spec. materials and do onsite QC testing. Back in the 80's when I was running a concrete crushing operation, we made several materials that matched the State's specs for crushed limestone. We also made several nonspec materials that we could sell much cheaper. When buying recycled material, I suggest you ask for QC test results for the specific product you want before you take delivery. Some recyclers are pretty good, but there are also a lot of operations that see this as an opportunity to make a few bucks and don't really know what they are doing.:(