Using 10ft sander of of live pto hydralics

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by diggerman, Aug 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a couple of used 10ft DOT hydro sanders that I would like to mount in a couple of mack dump trucks and am thinking about using the pup hydralics to drive them. I would have to get a electricly operated valve for the spinner and for the chain and also supply a return line to the tank. My biggest concern is the use of the transmission mounted pto hydralics for such a long period of time.Others that I have talked to say that this not a problem, but I thought I would ask if any body else has tried any thing like this and if so how did it work.

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

you need central hydro, the pto operated option will not work, and the rpms will way to high at speed. the pto is made to operate at slow rpms. The engine driven hydro is a much more even supply of pressure, made to operate at engine rpms.
    Dino

3. snow

snow Guest

the pup trailer probably uses 2 lines up/down. unless the spinner and conveyor share 1 line, you'll need a three line central hydraulic system which consists of this; 1 line for the conveyor, 1 for the spinner, and 1 common return. there is a company <a href="http://www.deweze.com/products/hydraulics/index.html">Deweze</a> that makes a pump that's powered off the crankshaft. it's an electric clutch pump, and should be perfect for you. you might have to make the brackets that hold it though. i heard they go for around like $600. BUT, you still need valves, controls, cuoplers, etc. alan is actaully installing a central hydro system on his truck right now.

Bryan:D

4. Alan

Alan Member

Diggerman, how long will the periods of operation be? Any idea how much your pump puts out now? Is the pump direct coupled to the PTO or is it shaft driven? How big is your tank? Get back to me with this information and maybe I can offer some ideas to make it work.

[Edited by Alan on 08-20-2000 at 05:47 PM]

5. diggerman

from Iowa

The pump will be running for a half an hour at a time. I have talked to other guys who use there dumps in the winter and they say that they leave there drives on for hours to keep the hydralics warm. The pump is shaft driven i dont remeber its out put but it is enough to raise a post hoist on a 17' box in around 15 to 20 seconds, ill do a little more checking though. As far as the number of lines needed to run the sander I think I can uses the pup line as a feeder line(there is only one line to the pup it returns through the same line) and use the valve to branch off to the spinner and chain drive.Tank volume is about 20 gal. The main reason I think this will work is that my Oshkosh is set up very similarly other than the possible diffrence in volume in relation to RPM. This is a 2000 mack that I use to haul material so I don't think I am going to do any thing drastic to make this work this way. Any additions add more weight to the truck. The easiest solution may be a gas motor convesion which I know a couple of manufactures are providing

6. Alan

Alan Member

&#65279;Well, I think it should work to run it off your pup lines, but you will need to put a sander control in there somewhere. Normally they go in the cab, giving you independent speed control of both hydraulic motors as well as on/off for the unit itself. Given the choice I’d put in permanent lines and cab controls. But, if you put the control panel on the spreader you could quick hitch it to the pup lines right at the rear. Only drawback is that you would lose the ability to control the sander on the fly. Then you could start/stop it with the pup valve you already have. Is the pup valve detented so it will stay on without having to hold it? You will have to add a return line for the spreader, again, no big deal. As long as the driveshaft to the pump is good and tight I can’t see where it would hurt it at all to have it running for a half
    hour at a time. Pump is probably at least 15 g.p.m., which should handle the V-box ok. The control box should probably be under some sort of shield, I’m not sure how well they would stand up to being out in the weather. Keep in mind that when you first start the spreader, with cold oil, it will run slower than once it has warmed up and you will need to change speed settings accordingly. It comes back to whether you want to get out and run around the truck to adjust chain and spinner speeds. The speed control has four ports, pressure in, two out to the motors and one for return/excess flow. The return needs to be plumbed into your return line from the spreader motors.

I’m sure there are electric spreader controls which would let you control from the cab with only wiring needed back to the actual valve assembly but I’m also pretty sure they would be pricey.

I could probably plumb it easier than I can describe it. Too bad you’re so far away.

7. diggerman

from Iowa

Thanks for your in put I have a Oshkosh that has the hydralic controls in the cab but that involves live lines in the cab and with the new macks I'm not doing that so I am hoping that a friend of mine who works for AgChem(a manufacturer of large field sprayers and spreaders)to help me work up some control and valving.Ill work on it, once again thanks for your time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.