using 2 blades per spindle on 52 Scag Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pja1672, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pja1672

pja1672 LawnSite Member

I have heard of people using a double blade set up on a scag hydo, is this recommended? If so, what should i use for blade combination and how far should they be spaced apart. What would be the reduction in clippings?

2. elitefox

elitefox LawnSite Member

WOW!! really? I love scag, yes their spindles and belts would handle it, I just don't see the need. Seems like a "PITA" of an idea to me. Let us know what u try/find out:drinkup:

3. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just use gators if you are worried about clippings.
    I have saw some 4 blade kits around but wouldn't it take twice the power to pull 4 instead of 2?

4. pja1672

pja1672 LawnSite Member

I have heard of people using a low to medium lift blade with a gator blade on top.......I have never done it and have used gator blades on a 60 exmark rider......it sounds like overkill but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it and the results...I wouldn't want to compromise cut quality...

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

LS had many posts about double blades a couple of years ago, but has faded in the past year or two. Do a search and you will find many posts.

I tried doubles on an Exmark 36" Viking -- cool weather grasses here, with heavy Spring growth. After using them for awhile, I scrapped the idea, and have not run doubles for 4-5 years. I ran a high lift on the bottom, Gator on the top.

My conclusion is that I wasn't doing any better than singles. Yes, it took more power, more time to get blades fully engaged. The clippings were being discharged, or bagged. I concluded I wasn't getting much recutting, no better clipping distribution, hence not saving anything. The Gator (position in the top position) got dull very slowly, meaning it was not doing much cutting.

In my experience, not a good thing to do, but may work for others.

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Old idea. Blade manufacturers listened. Single magnums can't be beat. The doubles sometimes moved so much air they flattened the grass down and blew clippings out the edges.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Depends upon the blades being used. With my setup the vacuum was much greater -- left hard stripes, and pulled up anything that was loose.

9. jgoddard8409

jgoddard8409 LawnSite Member

Has any one on here used the Meg Mo System?? Looks Interesting and effective...but looks are decieving...LOL :cool:

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Are they still around?
    Posted via Mobile Device