Using 4 cycle trimmers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by above all, Feb 26, 2006.

1. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Have any of you good people been running the Honda or the Briggs 4 cycle stuff for trimmers or edgers ? Do they have a much torque as the good 2 cycle ones?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

About all I know about them is they are heavier yet quiter...

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Not for us,what you want in ope is something light,and powerfull.

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

4 cycle/4 mix trimmers/blowers etc. suck in my opinion.

They are heavier and have more moving parts to wear out and replace.

2 cycle hand held equipment is still available from some key companies like RedMax and Echo and that is what I'm sticking with.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I must disagree with you here. The 4-mix trimmers are far superior to any straight 2 cycle I have ever used...not trying to open a can of worms but giving credit where it is due.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I agree.

Now there is a huge difference between 4 cycle and 4 mix.

I realy like the Stihl 4 mix stuff. As a matter of fact that is all I buy now when it exists.

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

My Honda 4 Stroke, heavy yes, reliable, very, cheap to run, yes, would I buy anything else but 4 Stroke, NO!

4 Strokes are cleaner, no mixing feul etc, last for ages, mine is in it's 5th year, and it works hard, very hard. Honda engines are top notch.

Note, this is 4 Stroke, not 4 Mix I'm talking about, and I have no idea how they compare.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am still with straight 2 stroke but I am interested in whether you run the 4 mix without the guard on? And how many hours do you have on the 4 mix?

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

My words exactly. Love the Honda trimmers and edgers.

10. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Coming from an equipment rental background, I absolutely love Honda powered anything. BUT, we bought a few Honda 4 stroke string trimmers about 6 years ago, and although they are SO EASY to crank, dont tear up, last forever, they just dont seem to have the power of two strokes. They seems to take longer to REV up, and easier to bog down, then again slower to get the RPM's back up.