Using 80:1 or 100:1 in a 4 stroke?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering if anyone just fills everything but the big mowers out of the mix can?

Like for example, you put mix gas in your 4 stroke 21" mower... or whatever.

Looking for someone who has done it for a while.

Good bonus lubrication... or bad deposits in the long run?
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Did that and not good...Engine was dead in 2 months
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using mixed fuel in 4 strokes since 1983 and we use it in everything we sell and service at our dealership. We use Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1.

A lot of LCOs put mixed fuel out with their crews and fill the larger mowers at the gas station.

4. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

I know this is an old thread but wanted to bring up the question again. I have talked to quite a few mechanics who claim that 100-1 mix in 4-cycle mowers will do not harm at all. We were thinking about doing away with mix cans next year and pushing either the Amsoil 100-1 or Opti-2 @ 100-1 through all equipment - has anyone else gone this route?
  5. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want to increase your expense if it's not needed?
  6. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I was using my walk behind blower yesterday and didn't have any regular gas, just a mix of Amsoil Saber and 89 at 80:1, (because the only gas powered thing's I own are two 21"er's and various 2 stroke equipment, everything else is diesel), so I just dumped that in. It ran fine at first but after a while it fowled up, though it could've been something else. It burns a little oil as it is so it may have just been to much for it.

I understand in the sense that you only want to have to deal with 1 type of fuel, but like the poster said above, why increase your cost, as miniscule of an increase that it may be, when you don't need to.
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why, do you want to do this Envy.

What's the root of your question?
  8. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I have had to do it on occasions because I run out of the non mix. But, I did not do it continuously, just when I run out.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

its more expensive than running strait gas
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Waste of money. 4 cycles are lubricated from below and nothing is needed above especially if you are using dino 2 cycle oil. You are setting yourself up for lots of carbon deposits at the top end. I am sure some have been doing this for a while and I still can't imagine why. Use a synthetic motor oil in your crankcase and forget running mixed gas in a 4 cycle. There are top oils out there that can be added to gas but I have never found much benefit from this. If you are looking to add something to the top end then I would only suggest SeaFoam and not a 2 cycle mix.