Using a free cut as a promotion...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fiveoboy01, Jul 7, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well it's been a few weeks now and we currently have 17 properties to mow.

The most recent flyers I've passed out have a Get your 5th cut free with a one-year agreement. I am typing up a contract right now for a customer, she has two residential properties for me to mow and has agreed on the price.

How do I protect myself from the "get the free cut and run" type? For residential contracts, I state that there is no obligation to contunue service, that either party may cancel with a 14-day written notice. For residential mowing and trimming, I believe that trying to lock someone into a contract is a turn-off. I'd rather have them WANT to continue service due to quality work, and if they are not satisfied, they should be free to cancel. Of course, I wouldn't do this for a commercial contract.

So I'm thinking about a footnote that, if the customer cancels service before 1 year, they will be billed for the 5th cut which was only free with a 1-year agreement.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds OK but I do not believe anybody that drops you will than pay it!

Not trying to be funny , only truthful-- the best way to avoid this problem is to not give away work-
    You are giving a one year contract anyway so just advertise --" Discount with year long contract"--on a year long contract that pays you $2400 give back maybe 50 or 100.
    "Mr. Customer, to maintain your property for the full year would cost $2400 but with the discount I am offering you for going with the full year we can service your home for $2300 or 12 equal payments of only$192.00. I have an opening Tues. Sign here"

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with pm. use a small discount instead of a freebie

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Free work is a big no no!
    Discounting is a big no no!
    Take your estimate for the work desired, add thirty percent then, and only then negotiate downwards. This way, provided you are naive enough to actually offer a discount, you still remain in the black, not the red.
    Anything else and all you are attracting is low cost shoppers.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

PLUS, they are going to want more things free!!! No way:nono:

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll attract the worst bloodsucking type customers. You don't want people like this in your life.

7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

yea, people always want more, greedy they are

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I have to agree, don't give anything away for free its only an invitaion for PITA's.
    Persoanlly with all the headaches involved in the indusrty I wouldn't even offer a discount nowadays. Simply set your price, stand by it and those that complain, drop em.

9. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

Yea, What they said.

10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a little differnt advice then they are giving. ok when someone calls for an estimate go look take a picture tell them you or the boss will call them in a few hours then call them back tell them your price per cut wekkly every ten days bi- weekly your rate plus five dollars then tell them your original rate per cut if they sign a contract. it works try it.