Using a landscape trailer for hauling mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

This year I will be using my new 16ft landscape trailer for hauling mulch instead of using the back of my truck. I am planning on just bolting 4ft high plywood to the sides of the trailer so that the mulch dosnt fall out. Does any body have any pictures of there trailer with sides just so i can get some ideas? Thanks for your help!

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

No pictures but a suggestion. Check the gvwr of the trailer, axles and tires. You will probably find that 2'sides or less will be sufficient.

3. i have done that when my truck bed was full. i only put like 2 yards of mulch on there though. but i have put on 2 yards of stone. that worked well. no sides. just dumped it right on there. you can do it. just be carefull where you put the bulk of the material, that you can tow it, that you have your brake activator. and that stuff. it works ok. i like doing it. beats having to load up my pickup truck with a yard of gravel at a time and being overload.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I enclosed the side rails on my trailer (12" high). If I'm doing a small mulch job I'll use my trailer. But if its more mulch than 1 trailer load I'll have it delivered. 4 foot high sides is a lot of mulch. You may want to reconcider.

5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16 ft trailer with 18" sides. I can get 8 yards on the trailer with no problem. I just use the canvas tarp to cover it and I'm ready to go. I think any more than 8 yds. would be too much.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow!!! 8 yards!! What is your trailers gvw? The reason im thinking about 4 ft sides is because that way I can haul alot more brush. I didnt think a standard 16ft trailer could safly hold more than 5 or 6 yards of mulch. By the way... mine is tube construction if that has any influence on the amount of weight I can haul.....

7. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

Evan

Your trailer should have a gvw printed on an identification tag along with serial #, model #, etc, unless it's home made. I'm lucky to have a 5 yard dump truck for mulch and rock. The hydraulic lift sure makes for much easier unloading.

8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

A little over weight?,.....maybe......might be.........who cares.

We had a guy come to us for firewood this winter, he brought a trailer made out of 4"x8" square steel tubing with 3 axles, he said to load her up and I put around 5 tons of logs on it and he said to keep going she can take about 20 tons, so I kept going, after he had 12 tons on it he said woah, so he paid me and went to pull out and when the first axle went over the curb it went BANG! then the 2nd went over and went BANG! same with the third. who did he ***** at ,..... you guessed it!

[​IMG] Load her til she breaks [​IMG]

[Edited by plow kid on 03-30-2001 at 11:05 PM]

9. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

8 yds. yes., I have only done this twice because I normally have it delivered. No probs. with the with weight. About the GVW of my trailer I'm not sure but it's made out of 3" round tubing along the top and 4" * 4" angle iron for the base with a wrap-around tongue.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I use my trailer for mulch too. I have a 6.5 by 14' tandem with like 16" sides on it. I can carry 3 yards with no problem and almost 4 yards, then like two in the back of the truck. I can carry between 5-6 yards in one trip. For the sides all I did was cut plywood the same hieght at the rails and blot it onto the tube rails.

I work with another company sometimes that has a 2000 F550 with a 12' grain body. They can put 12 yards in that truck, it takes the nursery like 15-20 minuts just to load the truck.