1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using a large wb vs a 21"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 16, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if u guys have experience on moving to the next level and how customers handle it when they are accustomed to u mowing 1/8-1/4 acre lots using a 21" and then show up with a 30"-36" wb? Will it look just as nice and leave good lines or will it be too heavy and be too hard to maneuver? I'm speaking generally. I know some places a 21" is best for very small gates and things, but I mean in general, what is the best size up from a 21" that is the easiest to find used and at pawn shops for the best prices that will get the job done twice as fast as a 21?
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i say 36 inch. i started my first year with only a 21, then this year i got a dual hydro 36 inch husqvarna. it about cut my mowing times in half. i would say get yourself a decent 36 inch hydro. as for one at a pawn shop.....????? if your pawn shops are like the ones around here, then forget it.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The amount of productivity of a 36 vs. a 21" is amazing. I picked up a used Toro walk behind - 32" for less than a decent homeowner 21" mower. It does a great job cutting grass.

For some where I can't get the bigger mower I keep a 21" handy. Would rather not use it. But its there.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a used 36" bunton and some yards still need 21" cuts for two reasons
    1. a lot of manuevering actually increase cut times
    2. to adjust my cut height i have to take to shop and at it's highest is still too low for some
    i got it for 700 and am very happy overall. the only decent equipment our pawn shops have are hedge & line trimmers and blowers oh yeah that thing takes up 75% of my trailer but i cut an acre like it was nothing. also try reputable repair shops good luck
  5. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Watch out for the pawn shop stuff. While it may look inviting, you are probably supporting the local thieves in your area.

Use your best discretion.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Depends on how much straight line action you have. If you spend alot of time mowing around swingsets, flower beds, rose bushes, rhubarb, retaining walls, etc etc a big walk behind might not save you any time at all, especially if it's a belt drive vs. hydro. However, if you got some areas where you can really eat up ground 40'+x40'+, a walk behind with a sulky will take 15 minutes off a 1/4 acre lot easy. This doesn't count your trimming, but you'll be surprised how similar the edging with a 36" wb is to a 21" push.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look at the quick 36.
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It's a huge advantage.. especially when the yard is overgrown. Today was a prime example. Grass is growing like crazy around here.. i tried using the 21'' and had to stop every 30 seconds to empty the bag because it was either full, or it clogged. Then i took the 36'' out and it did it prob 4x as fast.
  9. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

If you are trying to grow and you are solo guy, then you need to get something with a wider cut path. most yards will always look better with a pusher. When i got my first w/b i had a customer still want me to do the small front yard with pusher and do the rest with w/b. she liked how it striped better. She also wanted me to lower her rate because it took me "less time" I told her okay on front yard (5min) but told her no way on lowering price. I kept her for another 4 years. Until she found someone cheaper, her yard looks like crap now. NEVER lower your price! I always tell them I won't raise the rate this year (instead of giving them a discount.)
  10. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

This is all interesting. Do most 30-42 in wb's have bagging capabilities? I don't like to bag unless I have to, but some folks yards are so thick that it's either that, or double cut and I don't know which is worse. I just try to do the one that is most time effective. And are these things 200 lbs or more or? I'm solo and need something that will fit in the back of my truck. I'm sure I'll have to get metal ramps, vs the thin board ramps I use for my 21 in now right?