Using a pickup to transport

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wannabemowing, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

Just wondering if it's possbile to transport a walkbehind in the back of a pickup? Obviously it wouldn't work with a large WB but was wondering if anybody has done this and how does it work, and how big was your WB?

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

There are multiple pictures of LCO's using pickup's like that on here. Do a search for it. I can ..if needed get a Quick 36 and 44 in the back of my F150....prob. could get a 48 in if I had good ramps.
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

If you do it make sure you get a permanent ramp installed asap. Using portable ramps or even worse, home made wood ramps, is dangerous. You should be able to squeeze a 48" into a full size bed, at least people have told me that they can. My 44" fits fine.
  4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Do not use ramps that can slide. I was almost injured trying to get my 44" on the back of my f250's flatbed when the angle caused it to run out of gas and as i tried to push it, the ramps moved and left me holding the mower with only the front wheels on the bed and no one to help. My chest hurt for several days after lifting it back into the truck.
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Same thing happened to me as Varsity. Listen to us, be smart about it. It can bite you bad.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Just dont do it..... if ya cant afford a trailer, ask a family member to help you out...

Get a trailer. I'm sick of reading stories of guys getting injured for life doing something like this....
  7. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

well said, Bohiaa. You can get a small trailer inexpensively. A small price to pay for not injuring yourself or worse. There are a few threads on here with guy fabing their own flatbeds with ramps on small pickups. search for those if you really don't want a trailer.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

a used 5'x8' trailer is pretty cheap
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I throw my 48" in the bed of my F-150 all the time. I got like 5 buddys I will loan it too, if they need it. All of them put in the bed of their truck or the back of thier chevy astro van.
  10. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

I put my 36 inch in every day. I found it is better on gas and the ramps I use are the ones used on ATV. They have slipped but then again I am running an s-10 so if for some reason I am stuck holding the machine it isnt that bad. However this has happened maybe once.