Using a Picture?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 9, 2003.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If you decide to use a picture of a lawn from one of your customer accounts, do you get permission to use their lawn/landscaping/house?
    Say you are going to use the picture for a newsletter or a website, is it necessary to get permission?

I ask because, I just can't see myself calling up a customer in January asking them if I could use a picture of their house and lawn for our Spring newsletter. This guy is a doctor, and I just think it looks tacky bothering him with something trivial.

Am I seeing things in the wrong light?

Final thought - we would be sending this customer a newsletter, so he would end up seeing his house and lawn in the pic.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would ask, most would be flattered and would oblige

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

If you send a well-worded letter praising their property they will be flattered and maybe even show off the letter to neighbors and friends (who might become customers). It's a win-win.

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

A few of my clients were more than happy to let me take pictures of their homes. They're quite flattered.

5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I did this past summer. I aked a very good customer to use a photo of thier lawn on the front of my new brochure. They were quite flattered.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hi Jodi
    When I Had Highend, High Profile customers. I Would send them a 8+10 Picture in a Two dollar Walmart frame Of there House To them. They would call Me with what a good job i'm Doing And so on' that's when i would ask them about Useing the picture in My add's. It work's alot Of the time.
    Good Luck John Gamba.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how you can go wrong in asking their permission. As already mentioned, I would think most (if not all) would be flattered that their home is being show-cased.

8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with everyone. It would be polite and appreciated to ask in a letter or a phone call. I could not imagine them denying you the request.

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i asked at first...don't really anymore, no complaints so far...

10. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

To CYA.. I'd get a release, especially if the home is readily identifible. Kinda like if you are around when they are shooting a commercial or show, you gotta sign a release. Folks are getting kinda reserved these days..