Using a push mower blade on a rider??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Quality, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

By using a high lift blade that weigh less by 8 oz, used on push mower. Can you use it on a rider? Would you increase blade tip speed or cause problems? blade L =21''Need to know soon! thanks for any advice :help:

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

May or may not work. But it wont change the blade speed any.

3. Green Quality

do you think it will hurt or affect the pto.by using blades that weigh less?

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

No I dont. But you got to be sure they are the same length as the original blades. I really dont understand why you want to do this. :confused:

5. Green Quality

trying to save some money.almost $ 15 cheaper I sized out the length and center hole.Just want to be sure,may not last long but what blade does in the business!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They (the thin blades) will likely bend pretty quick on a ZTR. Think of the quantity of grass going through the deck vs a push mower.

7. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Exactly. Just stay with what is suppossed to be on the mower. Also, using blades not designed for the mower makes you liable for any thing they may happen (breakage)

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Is this rider a ZTR or a lawn tractor cause there is a big difference in blades on'em.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Do the blades have the same size arbor? You wont increase the max blade tip speed any although you may be able to maintain a higher tip speed in the cut with the lighter blades than you would with the heavier blades. Then again the heavier blades have more inertia than the light blades so you could lose blade tip speed. In the end I think the lighter blades will dull quickly. I have noticed that the aftermarket blades that are not as thick as the OEM blades don't hold their edge as long as OEM.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

care to elaborate? Might-en that depend on the brand of tractor? A friend has a diesel Kubota 4-wheel steering lawn tractor....