Using a sod roller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cleancutccl, Feb 16, 2006.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

When using a sod roller do you usually lay the sod down and drive over it or pull the machine backwards so you don't drive on the sod? I've seen guys using tracked skids driving over the sod as the go, but I have a kubota 3830 and no turf tires and was questioning if the tires would damage the sod as we installed it.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I do it with one you pull or push by hand.

3. cleancutccl

I'm talking about 42" wide and 70' long rolls, 30 yard at a time. Around a 1000 lbs each. Not the hand rollers you use after you lay the sod.

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not drive over the sod anymore than you have to! I used a tractor the last time I did the big rolls. So I was going forward. But with a bobcat you would go backwords. With the rolls the tractor moves slower than what you would thing so tracts really aren't an issue. Just be gentle! Water after you are completely done with that area.

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW nice avatar!

6. cleancutccl

thanks, I ask because I was watching another company do big rolls and they were laying the sod driving forward. Usually I do smaller installs and just use the yard rolls, but I have the equipment to do the big rolls just haven't had the right job to do it.

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If the soil is firm and your machine won't make ruts then you can drive on the sod if you have tracks or fairly smooth tires. I have laid big roll sod when the soil was too soft and couldn't drive on previous roll. Had to unroll a tires width from previous roll, rake out tire rut, then drag sod into place. What a pain.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

with our dingo (tracked) we drive forward.
    easier to control the sod when going forward then backwards, but on a tractor, i would think it would be opposite