Using a Trimmer like an Edger.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, May 16, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger. Thank you.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

By using an edger for edging. Or, get REALLY good with a line trimmer. Practice Practice Practice It takes time to learn. An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge, it will set you apart from the others.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

man this topic has been beat to death the last week or two on here...

Flip it upside down, run your throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 and learn to walk a straight line over all kinds of uneven terrain and hold the head straight and true in a 40 mph wind. Much harder than you think... Every trimmer is a little different, you just have to turn it just the right war and angle it just so to get it perfect. Once you get good at it you can do it forwards and backwards as fast as you can walk.

Some time I need to snap a pic of my edges here at my house. If you people can tell me that your stick edger could do a better job, I'd love to see it. I'll even let you mow my lawn if you win!

4. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

There is no way your way of edgeing will be more crisp than a stick edger. On the other hand if that is the way you want to do it thats fine. As long as you are happy and your customers are happy that is all that matters.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed that the grass trimmed with a string trimmer (anywhere, not just edging) can look really beat up and torn, compared to grass cut with a sharp blade. While I'm not going to dispute whether someone is able to hold a trimmer the right way to use it as an edger, I just don't think it cuts as well. Otherwise, wouldn't we all be using those string mowers?

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

They have bladed trimmer heads, nobody uses those. Of course if you accidently hit your foot, your toes won't be happy.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on here for "edgit" and go to www.edgit.com

I have an edgit edging and gtrimming guide on both my trimmers. It won't cut an overgrown edge like a blade but it's great for maintaining edges.

9. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You edge with an edger first, then maintain the edge with a trimmer. It's especially easy if you put an Edgit on your trimmer as PaulJ said.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I'll put my trimmer edges up against any steel edge. What a trimmer can do is cut on more than one plane which is benificial when grass heights change in relationship to concrete. What trimmer edges don't do is take chips out of the concrete.