using a van for apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TNLC, Mar 25, 2004.

1. TNLC

TNLC LawnSite Member

I would like to hear from any one that uses a van to do their applications. Do you have any pros or cons regarding a van over a pick up truck and trailer? What do you do about the odor coming into the front? Do you use a ramp to get your spreader out?:)

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the exposure to the chemicals will kill you.

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ive use every form of truck for fert & squirt....flat bed,van,cube van, bread truck style,pick up, trailer,cab over with box, and also used my motorcycle to run estimates :)

The worst for me was the regular van, to cramped, didnt like the chemicals right behind me. Even those van walls that go behind the driver was no enough to keep smells out.

Right now I use truck & trailer, works good, this season I will switch to cabover with vanscaper box (sweet) i will post pic when i get her.

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Been there. Drove that.
    I agree with James.
    The van while it may look good is not the way to go.
    I worked for a Lawn Doctor franchise some years back .
    Back when dursban was still the weapon of choice.
    The smell of urea and chemical on a hot humid day could be unbearable!
    I use a 14 foot flatbed now with 3 sprayers. 1 for lawns, 1 for trees and shrubs and 1 for specialty sprays.
    Then I've got a large box for granular products mounted behind those.
    It does the trick but I'm also considering a change in the near future.
    I'm considering a cab over & box.
    James why did you get away from those?

Thanks

5. James Cormier

from Ma

I went with the setup below for several reasons.

I hurt my back in 99, so I bought the perma green so I wouldnt have to pull that damm hose, and push that friggin spreader anymore.

The trailer just made sense to carry that machine, it drives right in the side doors with small ramps that I got, it unloads very easy cause its on the lawn side and its pretty low to the ground.

The other thing that was killing my back was loading and unloading bags of fert, because the trailer has swing out doors in back, I just have a pallet loaded with a fork truck, it slides right over the wheels. I fill my P-G right there in the trailer, or pull up behind the trailer to fill it. NO more carrying bags. When lime time comes I put a pallet in the truck and one in the trailer ( I go to a big lawn first to get rid of some weight )

At the end of the day I disconect at the office, lock up the trailer and drive the truck home, I never carry chemicals in the truck

Now this year I able to add a truck just for apps, so thats why I am going with the cab over with a vanscraper box. Have you seen one? If not scroll down to my post called perfect fert truck. So that truck will be left at the office and my pick up will just be my ride into work ( only until the bike comes out )

Next season I plan to add on 2 techs, so the trailer will be used for one and not sure yet which way for the other guy.

picture 030.jpg

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

nice setup. very nice

7. James Cormier

from Ma

just had my door done at the office, what do you all think? No Grubs allowed

picture.jpg

8. James Cormier

from Ma

opps you can see my fat winter gut in the window....sorry

9. D.J. VS

D.J. VS LawnSite Member
    from Mich.

Jim,

Where is that picture at? I could not find it.

Thanks

D.J

10. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Very nice setup James!

I currently use a van for apps. I REALLY like having everything out of the weather AND the compactness of the van over a truck AND trailer, but a large amount of my accounts would be more difficult to service having a trailer also.

(What smell are you talking about??? :eek: :D )

James, What size is your enclosed trailer? and Do you find it large enough for what your using it for?

LOVE the "NO GRUB" window!!!