Using a van instead of a 1/4 ton truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GTC187, Oct 18, 2009.

1. GTC187

GTC187 LawnSite Member

Do you think I could put my two 21"s in a cargo van like a chevy express and build trimmer racks to go on the sides of the walls or should I just throw all my stuff in the back of a 1/4 truck like a ranger?

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it could work, but what about hauling leafs and other materials? and as your business grows will the van grow with you.

3. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Vans work well. I used one for a good while. You can take ply wood and cut noches out for your 2 cycles and screw them into the wall supports in the van. You can also line the walls with sprinkler parts or what ever by adding bins. Leaf and limb removal will be a bear with out a trailer though

4. GTC187

GTC187 LawnSite Member

I dont really intend to to any cleanups, just mow and blow accts.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I could definitely imagine using a van for lawn care- such as this "gem" I found on craigslist
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1388263049.html
    Cheap, V8 (no lack of power), large inside storage space (make some racks for everything on the walls) side and rear access, fully enclosed and secure, no hassle with trailers (but you could pull a descent size trailer with this van) and a rolling billboard to advertise. Doing small res. lawns with this set-up would seem pretty good. And if you don't do large clean-ups, it's no big deal. You could always pull a trailer for clean-ups. TruGreen used to aerate lawns by me, and they hauled 2 Ryan aerators with a 1500 Chevy van. Make a list of things you need for your business, and see if the pro's of the van outweigh the con's. Good luck!

6. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Four big pluses not mentioned yet when using a van are:

1 Your equipment is more secure from theft because it's not out in the open.

2 When it rains your equipment is protected, no rush to cover or unload your equipment into the shed or garage when you get home.

3 Your much less likely to be stopped for inspection with a van than towing a trailer.

4 Since your not towing a trailer you can pull into short driveways or park in smaller parking spots.:)

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  8. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Chevy Astro (cargo) for that exact application

Photo proof-12.jpg

9. Marine

Marine LawnSite Member

I currently run a van and it works well but the downside is grass clippings if you have an unusual day "yes they happen" and you are mowing your first account and the neighbor up the street asks you to cut there place and trim the hedges you agree on a good price "good price money in your pocket" ah but you have mowers in van gas cans and trimmers and rakes where do you put haul off. I got hit one after the other a couple occasions and had bags of haul off for a passenger and arm rest. The upside I got a smoking deal on a enclosed trailer by watching craigslist took 6 months but i got it.

10. GTC187

GTC187 LawnSite Member

Sounds Good.