1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using a Z as a wood chipper....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Sep 27, 2006.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

ok, now that I have your attention, this time of the year, leaves...and a lot of sticks are falling...so what "rule of thumb" do you go by when running over sticks....pencil sized?...1/2"?.....thumb sized....choke a beaver size?....never do it?...only with sharp blades?...How do you decide?...just curious.
  2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I hate running over anything over a pencil, and I don't even like that!
    I have (a few times) run over the "choke a beaver" branch simply because I was flying and couldn't stop in time.

Let me just say that the ZTR make a handy sprinkler head removal tool as well! Works very well as a sling-shot for assorted size rocks, and does a great job as a mole hill/ant hill grader!
  3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

That was from my deck wheel, when my cellphone fell off its clip and I tried to catch it then caught the tree with the left deck wheel.. luckily no damage :)
  4. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

ouch...they say that cell phones are responsible for many accidents....!
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You name it, I have probably hit it. I have run over beer bottles, vodka bottles, newspapers (what a mess), pine cones, small sticks, large sticks (3'' diameter), graded ant hills, chopped up sprinkler heads that were hiding in tall grass, hit kids toys, stainless steel forks, spoons. Thats all I can think of right now but my rule of thumb is if it doesnt stay in the deck more than 5 seconds its fine by me. Could care less about having to sharpen the blades more often but damn it is noisy to get a 3'' stick up in your mulching deck.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well lol it is funny you should mention this, the other day I learned how to use my Wb to grind down a smaller stump so that the deck doesn't hit it anymore.

Mind you, this is my 5th year and I've learned to kinda tell the wood from the looks, how tough it will be... This stump had been there for over a year (it was there when I started servicing the lawn last year's spring) and it looked somewhat rotten as well - Still, it was a bit tough, but it works, just got to go slow and ease the deck onto it sideways lol, like a stump grinder sorta.

As for sticks, a simple rule of thumb is 1" in diameter or less.
    The nono's are: NO steel (such as water meters), NO cement and NO concrete and NO rocks, NO glass, and try for no dirt (cauz one it dulls blades fast and two you never know what's in there).
    Other than that, I'll hit most anything else thou coat hanger wires can be annoying to remove from around the spindle (guess that one falls under steel)... Garbage bags are frustrating also, as are newspapers :laugh:

By the way: It helps to learn to always keep the chute pointed away from windows / houses / cars / and people.
  7. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i got a of 42" reacher thing i keep next to me wedged into parts of the deck raising mech and leaning back on the gas tank - - - i used to run over smallish stuff but now i pick it up and put it behind me - - - works great - - - but i' have run over everything but glass - - - sticks under 1/2" don't bother me too much - - - anything bigger i get nervous about
  8. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

If it's dead wood under an 1" with no houses/windows/people nearby I'll run over it and keep on gettin it.Otherwise I'll stop and throw it out of the way.
  9. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

Took the words out of my mouth. "If there is no houses or people or cars or things that if you hit you are going to have to call you insurance agent over.
    I usually try not to hit anything glass but everything else is fair game like
    sprinkler heads, stumps, rocks, kids toys, dog chains, sticks, pine cones, flower beds, small animals(I ran over a dead coon in tall weeds it stunk :dizzy: )
  10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, ""4 sale "" 1x commercial mower only used on sundays by little old lady. :laugh: :laugh: Question how much do u charge to run over some of my clients????:laugh: :laugh: I know how u feel golf balls make dents in my walker catcher. 2x4 timber lengths chewed on by walker blower, could not understand why no warranty 4 that one:laugh: :laugh: