1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using a Z on smaller yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

This year im wondering wether i should buy a wb or not. I havent used one in about 2 years now, cause ive been doing all my mowing with my wildcat 52". I wanted to be more effecient and time saving, but im thinking some of my customers really dont want the z on their small yards. Being solo i want to make as much time as i can, and i have gotten rid of alot of reallly small lawns in favor of lawns i can use the z on.

Spending the money on a wb is not the problem, it just takes longer using one. You other solo guys, do you just figure that is part of this business and accept it or do you try and build your base around lawns you can just use the z on?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We mow some very small yards and they all get done with a Z. Don't have them time to mess around with a WB.
  3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

We don't break out a wb unless the customer specifically requests it. Then the price goes up. Usually, 5 bucks on the small yards.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well........... it DOESN'T take longer to use a WB than a rider on small properties. The opposite is true, with a sulky anyway. I use the Proslide on my WB.
  5. pixr99

pixr99 LawnSite Member

Out of curiosity, what's the most common reason that your accounts would rather not have the Z on their lawns? I did grounds maintenance at an amusement park for some years and off-hours daylight being so scarce, the deal was, if you can ride it, you'd better do so in the interest of saving time!
  6. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

They say its to heavy.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's the tough part to being solo... I realy need a lot of different sized equipment, but only one machine can get used at a time, leaving things sitting on the trailer not making money... I think the 50" - 52" Z is well combined with a 36" of some type. For about 6 years I used a Troybilt 33", then last year I found a used Walker 36" GHS. It's PERFECT for small lawns and a heck of a lot faster and easier on ME than using a 21".

Now, once again, I'm in a quandry... I have many "larger" lawns that I could use a 56 to 60 inch machine on, but, I would still need a medium (48") sized Z, plus the 36" walker... It's all about time! Time can be saved on the large lawns with the larger Z, but switching back and forth between the 3 and jockying them on the trailer eats time.

I too used to turn my nose up at small lawns, or ones with small gates... but now that I have the 36" walker, I welcome them! I know a lot of others may turn them down, not even bid, or bid high because of the extra time needed to mess with them.
  8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

So your customers have a weigh station?
  9. pixr99

pixr99 LawnSite Member

I suppose it's something to consider but I'd be curious on the customer's take regarding why it's acceptable to use a Z or a tractor on a larger lawn. Is turf on a larger lawn inherently more rugged?

If there's no obvious evidence of rutting, it seems that there's no proof to the back customer's theory. The biggest factor is weight per square inch of contact with the ground, in other words, how many tires and how large are they.

Clearly, newly established lawns (younger than a couple seasons) are more prone to rutting as well. Until they compact naturally I try to keep heavy stuff off of them.

All things being equal, I can't imagine you'll have trouble with a mature lawn and nice big fat tires on your Z.
  10. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Gate size is the only reason I use a smaller mower. I have a 36" WB. If it doesn't fit through the gate, I typically won't mow it.