1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using a ZTR

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigbone, Jul 27, 2006.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I love my ZTR but I am having trouble tearing up the turf when I try to make a full pivot turn. I am putting one handle forward and on back like the manual says but I am still tearing up turf. Any suggestions?

2. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Ignore the manual. Make sure that both wheels are turning at the same time. The best way is to make a perimeter cut, then do the lines. When you come to the end of a line, turn towards the inside, so that clippings do not go towards the beds (or outside). Make the inside turn, then back up slightly while turning towards the next adjacent line. As long as both wheels are turning, you shouldn't put tire marks in the lawn. Though a ZTR can go 360 degrees without moving forward or backward and inch, it doesn't mean you should apply this to actual grass cutting.
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

K turn. you cannot make afull turn in one motion at the end of your pass. make a slight right or left turn and go past where your next line will be. then finish the turn by backing up into position.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3pt turn. ........................