Using ATV's/Golf Carts on Jobs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Wolfie's L&L, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

How many of you guys ever use ATV's or golf carts or the like on
    large scale jobs? It would seem like a practical idea to move
    plants or mulch around the jobsite. My curiosity got the best of
    me I guess!

2. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

When I had to trim a hedge that was a quarter mile long by 7ft at my old job we had one guy stand in the back of a cart and trim while the other drove. Quite a sight.
  3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the scale of job, the site conditions, and most of all, how much you trust your guys riding atv's around a job site.

I've seen good and bad scenarios....

The good.......large silt fence with hay bail installation....rented a 4x4 golf cart (like a kawasaki mule) to run hay bails along the fence in the woods....worked out excellent.

the bad.....I've seen clowns pull up with their 8k honda 4x4 quads and a small 'wagons' to do mulch jobs.......half their time is spent maneuvering around the property, trying to get the wagon close to the bed (which takes about 8 attempts) shovel out a double wheel barrels's worth of mulch (in other words, a double wheeled wheel barrel will carry just as much) and then, when the are finished, leave a property that once had a decent lawn covered with 'burn out' marks made by the quad.

You may own the quad and have it handy, but overall, it would be much more practical to just rent a machine which was made to do work like that, and mainly, it looks much more professional to leave the quads at home.
  4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used t use a gator for every job possible. Now I bought a new truck and am selling the gator. Its in the sale section. PM me if your intrested.
  5. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

We use a ATV alot on jobs. We have a few clients that we cut trails for and we carry our gas, files, oil etc on it. Also have used it towing a dethatching unit. Also haul around small chippers with it.

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

Q, is that an old "Big Orange" unit on your site? Looks like an LRIII...

I've used ATV's and a Mule on the job before, and they sure can save alot of work. All depends on the kind of property you're using it on.

Like... if it's a contact job from one of my 'scapers, and they're going to tear up and re-seed anyways, I don't feel too bad; I'd never use it on a pristine lawn, though.
  8. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

Asplund(spelling) truck. The guy that runs the tree service end picked it up in N. carolina on his way back from florida. 55mph all the way home. What a long ride.Not sure of the model.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine bought a 4x2 mule w/electric dump and it worked great. He keeps it at his house for his wife to used when its not a job. He claimed it was worth every penny. But wish it was a 4x4 version. It beats a wheel barrow and is a lot lighter than his tractors.

When I used to work at a golf course. We used the work carts we had for everything. The Cushman super trucksters are great.

I worked for Asplundh for a time... I'm surprised he got 55 out of it!

Good stuff, though.