Using auto motor oil for 4 cycle air cool trimmers and mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Is there any problem using Car motor oil for my 4 cycle Honda trimmer and lawn mower? I don't see any muli grade oil specialized for air cool, so I am using Castro GTX 10-30 for all my stuff.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

trimmer you need to still use mix lawnmower use what they spec

3. yungman

from Calif.

The trimmer is a 4 cycle separate oil. It is not a mix oil gas.

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

You should be fine.

5. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

Check the owner's manuals. If they say 10-30, you're OK. I've heard from an engineer that tests lubricants for a living that synthetic is the best choice for small 4-cycles. It flows thru the tight tolerances better, lubricates better, and is actually part of the cooling process.

6. yungman

from Calif.

The reason I use GTX is because I just read the post on breaking in. I actually just change to Mobil 1 after 5 hours of use and I have to change it out because the trimmer is too new!!!!:cry:
    Thanks

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Check at a Kohler dealer. 30 weight for the older flatheads and 10W-30 for the newer OHV engines are available. Buy it by the case and save.

8. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Use the Mobil-1 if it's affordable, I've been using all the old Mobil-1 out of the hydro riders in the chainsaw oilers and guess what? the bars and chains are absolutely clean the chips don't stick, it's amazing,the oil maybe dark,dirty but the lube capacity on a bar chain doesn't go away,it beats the heck outta regular 30W bar oil. By the way, I've been converting my Powerstroke over to Mobil-1 and the Texas cold morning start is gone.

9. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Use the Mobil-1 if it's affordable, I've been using all the old Mobil-1 out of the hydro riders in the chainsaw oilers and guess what? the bars and chains are absolutely clean the chips don't stick, it's amazing,the oil maybe dark,dirty but the lube capacity on a bar chain doesn't go away,it beats the heck outta regular 30W bar oil. By the way, I've been converting my Powerstroke over to Mobil-1 and the Texas cold morning start is gone.