Using bleach or diesel to clean equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Anybody do this? I used some bleach today, and I have never ever seen anything that cleans like this. Even the leading edge of the deck looks like new after 200 hours of no cleaning. Simple Green can't touch it. I just wonder if it will break down the paint. One of my guys swears diesel will clean it good also... but I don't trust diesel on expensive equipment.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

best thing I ever used is Easy Off oven cleaner.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

ask him if he'll put his paycheck where his mouth is and try it.

4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

WD40 does the same as bleach just not as cheap.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Careful Easy Off and bleach are a lot more toxic than most pesticides and not regulated at all. Breathing that stuff in will scorch your lungs and wear gloves especially with oven cleaner. Be safe live long:waving:

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Easy Off and bleach are both alkaline, that is like lye, infact the origional Easy Off did contain lye. Lye + an oil forms soap, so after that reaction the stain will wash off easily. They are also corrosive so be sure to rinse well and probably best to apply a thin oil to protect scratches, bare metal from rust.
    Jeff

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of that, explain your procedure for using Easy Off on your mowers. Easy Off has a cleaner called Bam that is a very strong and they boast it will clean anything but make sure your skin is protected.

8. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

This may sound strange, but Pledge furniture polish on any painted surface that gets dirt buildup helps a ton! I used to use it on my motorcycle fairing and the bugs washed right off.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Spray it on let it sit for a min. or two and rinse it off. Any left over dirt, grease, stains get a second application.

Just be careful not to leave it on to long as it will the eat paint! For repainting, after power washing equipment I will use Easy Off on the entire machine as a final degreaser. After rinsing its ready for paint.

10. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

You people have way too much time on your hands.:)