Using double blades I have tore up......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Sep 4, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Before you go shouting Search Search please read on.....thanks...It seems a lot of lawnsite people use the double blade set up however I am curious at what people have tore up if anyting on equipment, such as belts wearing out , electric clutches going out faster , spindles wearing out and general engine power using double blades. In my mind I belive the extra weight of the blades on each spindle just cant be good....however I also belive once the blade gets spinning then it is ok however during each time you turn on the blades I belive the extra strain is bad on equipment life....well let me have voice some thoughts......bad or good......Thanks eggy....
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest thing is power,My 25hp on a 60" is barley adequete with doubles,it pulls them,but its at the limit,i know this because,for one,with singles it burns 1-1.25 gallons an hr,with doubles,it burns 2GPH.If i have to go up a hill ,or the grass is thick,I need to slow down to about 1/2 speed alot,or the engine will fall right down below 3400,even though its set for 3700-3800.The last thing,the mower just isnt respnsive with doubles,it revs up slow,when you push forward on the levers,it bogs down for asecond,with singles,its snappy and feels light on its feet,power is fine with singles too,unless your cutting 10" of grass,otherwise,no problems.Stay with lo-lifts,or a gator-lo lift combo,thisrobs the least amount of power,and still moves al ot more air and chops much finer than singles.
  3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for pointing out the "Search" thing. That has become the A-1 auto response lately.
    To answer your question...
    Nothing has broke or wore out on the 2 Dixies that have doubles. There is more fuel consumption but I don't know if it's less fuel economy because the cut is more efficient with one pass.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As others have said, it does use more fuel, but as far as wearing things out faster, I'm not to sure on that. My old Chopper has never had singles on it while I mowed with it in the past 3,640 hours. In that time I replaced the bearings on 1 spindle and this is the only spindle bearings I've replaced on all my mowers ever and I've used double blades for over 12 years.

One advantage of the Dixie Chopper is it uses a hand clutch instead of an electric clutch, so it isn't a problem at all with a DC.
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Thats because for the most part this new influx of LawnSiters is just like the fall weed crop of contractors- LAZY!!! Most dont want to take the time to read the archives, and if they have - they dont mention that they were not able to find what they were looking for. :angry:

Is everything in the archives ... no. Most everything will be available to give posteres the just of whats going on, and then if they have a specific situation, thats the time to ask. ;)

I think that many are just too damn lazy to read. Me, Im too damn busy typing in "chit chat". LOL!!!! :D

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Make Sure There Balanced!!!, if you keep them balanced and sharp you shouldn't incur any spindle or shaft damage, although keeping them sharp doesn't have anything to do with this in the first place, but..., it never hurts!:)
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

replaced my engagement clutch recently. of course machine is getting some yrs so was due anyway.
  8. Tore up anything? NO. The only thing I have replaced was a POS mower (Rich Convertible) with a super mower, Dixie Chopper XW2500. I agree it does use more fuel running doubles but the cut is better and I don't have to double cut as much so that is a toss up.
  9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for a response guys, I guess if it stops the need for double cutting that alone is going to save hours off equipment, with very strange weather here in Indiana almost everything needs double cutting....double cutting 4-5 acre sites isnt much fun in my book.....I guess the doubles need to go on...
  10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like my deck clogs up worse, with the finer clippings and all the dust.