Using Fertilizer with Iron

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jtrice11, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if striping is a concern if putting down fertilizer with Iron in it?

2. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

If applied correctly you should have now problem. I would suggest that you use a product with a homogeneous formulation as the Iron can stain concrete, etc.. Also you should use a broadcast type spreader.

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

striping is the result of improper application, regardless of the fertilizer makeup. Kevinsky is right, a broadcast spreader certainly reduces the chance of doing that(striping) but still certainly can if overlap is incorrect.

4. jtrice11

Stupid question...is broadcast same as a rotary spreader? That's what I used. overlaped the pattern by about 10 inches. Used the recommended setting on the bag.

5. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

it is, but it's not 10 inches of overlap, it's 10% of the throw width to avoid striping. Also, by the way you described your method, I'll assume that you used a homeowner's model spreader. If this is the case, you need to half your rates and do a crossing pattern to make up for the less than stellar broadcast pattern from these open throat spreaders.

6. jtrice11

I have a Lesco spreader w/ 125 lb hopper, the recommended setting was 17.

7. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

Lesco spreaders have an 80lb tub with letter settings, outside of the powered units.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

They also make a 100# hopper push model. All the new spreaders went to number setting a few years back.

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The good ol' days? I still have a retro with the letters I use daily.

G= Grow
    K = Kolor
    M= Mow

10. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

I actually had not had the need to buy a spreader in the last half dozen or so years as the ones I had all performed exactly as expected. However, rang the service center here to ask about the changes and I will admit to being wrong about the lettering system,as far as the ones go, but I'll stick to the 80 lb hoppers unless you are dropping in the extender sides. 80 lb is still the standard made the same way it always was.