Using Flag Wires to Locate Water Lines

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have resorted to using the ole trick of taking two flag wires and bending a 90degree on the ends to hold in your hands. I was pretty surprised to find that it sorta works. But like the use of the valve finder521 there are probably some tricks to using these wires. Do you have to get a static charge on them first, or do they work better if grounded and charge off them.

Just in case you are wondering what the problem is.....got water on some media but can't find the valve box. Have wiring into the media and used 521 to track wires but nothing then used volt meter across wires to gnd and nothing. There may not be valve boxes but seems unusal that they would put in th rotor and no valve boxes. Definitely water into area found the line but rocky texas soil not practical to dig down the water line in heat.

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

You found the sprinkler head..... unscrew it and slide a "snake" into the irrigation line (pvc is it?) along with a 2-wire line. Trace the wire.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda good idea but snake will follow the pvc line and probably wouldn't go into the valve box tee. In Texas we hook the valve to the water line then out of the valve a tee is usually installed to run in two directions unfortunately. But maybe I misunderstood your suggestion.

4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep tracing the the wire. Use a probe to poke for the valve box along the path.

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

You don't need a charge on them, no ground, and there are no tricks. The flags can be old nasty rusty ones. My understanding is that it works off the electromagnetic field that exists inside a pipe. I've found sewer, gas, electrical conduit, our own sleeves, laterals, etc.

Doesn't seem to work for everyone, and works to varying degrees for some people. I have one buddy that it works for sometimes, and another that it never works for, even over a pipe in an open trench.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Wonder if steel toed boots cause interference... 'otta try and see.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ya! You know what else works??? Hire a witch doctor and have him place dust from the ground up bones of a mongoose on top of some gypsy tears and mix it up. Then take the mixture and throw it along the ground. It's freakin' amazing. As soon as you do this, you'll notice the spill sort of takes the shape of an arrow. Dig right in front of the arrow and I swear you'll find the water line every time!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having a hard time finding gypsey tears:confused:

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

In my experience black cat bones work better than mongoose bones.

Get your mojo workin'...

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member