using flail blade power rake/overseeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to know what to expect when using one to do an overseeding job. How bad are things going to look when I'm through?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I used a flail type dethatcher before I overseeded my yard about two weeks ago. The only thing that is different between the flail type and the fixed blade type that I can tell is that the flail type brings up a lot more thatch. I found it neccessary to bag the thatch. Had a small mountain of it. After I got all the thatch up my yard still looked good. Looks great now.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Hey what part of the state is Jamestown in? Have you checked out the networking forum?

Anyways, I was thinking of picking up a Classen TS-20 Turf Seeder with the 5.5hp Honda. It just seems to me the seeding results with this thing would be great. But I wasn't sure about how much it would tear up existing turf while doing it's thing.

I don't know anyone who owns anything like this and I've never seen one used. The norm here is core or spike aeration before seeding.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, here is the machine....

classen ts-20.gif
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The Classen you picture is NOT a flail tine machine - it has blades probably 2" apart. Blades just cut grooves in soil surface to enhance seed/soil contact. The flail reel for my Bluebird has 26 tines across, versus 10 knives for the slicing reel. So you get 2.5 times the rubble with this flail, and not very good soil contact for your seed. Flails just scratch the surface, knives cut into the soil.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

I know it's a flail blade machine. ;)
    It has blades/knives that can fold back sorta like Meg-Mow blades as opposed to some machines like the Yazoo/Kees-Husqvarna Power Rake which has the Delta Reel (fixed blade) option.

So the destruction level/mess level would not be high in a lawn with no thatch? As I said before, this seems like a good method for great seeding/over-seeding results. That is if it doesn't look so bad right afterwards that it puts the customer in shock until germination.

Oh, how do you like the Bluebird? That could be an option. Also, I believe that is who Yazoo/Kees-Husqvarna uses to build their OEM catchers for the ZTR's.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

One of us is confused. From Classen's TS-20 page :

"The Model TS-20 commercial seeder is a multipurpose machine that can be used to seed a new lawn, overseed an existing lawn, or by cutting slits in the turf, can be used as a vertical cutter. Optional flail blade assembly will convert the unit into a turf rake."

A horizontal flail like the Meg-Mow can cut grass, but a vertical flail will just bounce off the soil surface, and not give the soil disturbance you want for seeding. If you are looking at the machine, the one you're looking at must have the flail reel installed, not the verticutter reel. Classen states above that the flail reel is just a rake.

My Bluebird F-20 is 20 years old and still cooking. Got it as a rake, added the knife reel for slicing, and then got the seed box when they came out with that. Can't comment on their current models, but they do make things to last. The P-22 seems to be comparable to mine.