using former employer's name in advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Shilohlandscaping, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

With spring here, I am working on some new advertising (mostly residential gardening and maint) and was thinking of adding something I have not used previously. I was the landscaping and grounds supervisor at a fairly well known winery for about 20 years and was wondering if its legal for me to use their name in an ad? Maybe something at the bottom saying "Landscaping supervisor at " " winery for 20 years"

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

That would be a great idea for advertising purposes especially if it is a well known winery. That can potentially seperate you from all the other companies in your area. But on the legal side. I'm not positive but my best bet is you need their permission. Just ask them. If they liked your work they wouldn't have a problem acting as a referral.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I wouden't add any names to advertisements with out asking their permission first.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Or Landscaping Supervisor at a "world" famous winery !

5. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

Yes if it's well known in the area you could just put the "at best known winery in the area"

6. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

Thanks for the quick replies! I had a couple ppl telling me to use the name but I didnt feel right about it so I thought I would ask here. Great info.. I think I may go the direction of mentioning something about having been at a local winery and if someone asks I can tell them at that point. :usflag: