Using Gator Blades with a grass catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bglawncommand, May 7, 2008.

1. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

My question is : will the use of gator blades in conjunction with a catcher reduce the average clipping yield, as opposed to using standard blades with a cather? Thanks for any thoughts.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was cutting up in Ohio, I always used the gator blades starting end of may till the end of the season and I did notice less amount of clippings after switching blades. During the start of season when its wet, gators don't work that well, clumps up, so I used regular blades.

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

high lifts do you a lot better. standards work as well

4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I have no recent comparison but i never had an issue running gator blades and catchers.

In fact all I use is gator blades all year round without mulching decks and I never had any problems.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I use my gators all the time. I have noticed that it seems like I am getting less clippings but that could just be because it is still early in the season.

6. bglawncommand

from Chicago

Hey guys thanks for the input so far. And hey, Classy how's your year shaping up?

7. Classified

When you say your are getting less clippings, are you saying? they are escaping the bag by blowing out from under the deck or are you saying that you can fit more in the bag. cause the way I see it, since they are mulching blades, maybe they are chopping the clippings up more which is using less space in the bag or should I say there is less air in the bag since the clippings are closer together since they are smaller.

8. Classified

I cant keep up!!!!!

Finally at about 90% done with cleanups. I cant wait to just mow. I have been so behind lately but im getting closer to being caught up. I am hoping for about 20 more resi accounts then ill be real good for a year or two.

Also, what area are you in? I had a crew honk at me when I was working at one of my commercial accounts (Startling me quite a bit) and was curious if it was someone from the site. I was in South Elgin that day.

How is your season so far?

9. bglawncommand

from Chicago

Ya, being caught up this time of year is just not really possible.
    Our office is over in Tinley Park. Bruno Galatte Landscape-I run the maintenance division, and we work mostly in the Orland area, but also a fair amount in the city. Probably wasn't one of us honking, but if I see you, I'll blow the horn. This year has been ok so far. I was able to bring in more work, but it's not top quality like we all want.
    How far do you travel? We turn alot of residentials away because we focus on commercial.
    Good luck with the rest of the spring

10. Classified

Yeah the quick changing weather is what really made things worse.

I actually have one job in Orland Park that I service on Monday. Its a bank thats in the same parking lot as Houlihans restaraunt...............

It was part of a 3 year contract package deal so It was worth the drive but im as far NW as crystal lake and east as Schaumburg. Im all over really but as far as resis im in the NW burbs primarily. Randall Rd and Algonquin Rd is my main artery.

If I get anything in OPark or that area ill keep ya in mind. Have a good season as well.

What was the topic again?

Oh gator blades! LOL