1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using illegal workers in NY

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rsails, May 26, 2010.

1. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a legit business but from time to time need to hire day labors.

What should I be concerned about?

If I get pulled over what would happen etc....

thoughts

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you just get them from a legit day labor company and not have to worry about it?

3. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

that type of business does not exist in my neck of the woods

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

5. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

Because those kinds of places charge like 30 an hr versus the 10 anyone can pay illegal help....

As far as what to worry about...

Is he gonna claim the money yer payin him..if so thats trouble..

If he gets hurt yoiurs introuble if he decides to be a dick..

If immigration (la migra) catches you,,,guy gets deported and id immaginr you get f-ed

6. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't do it...and you won't get in trouble. Sooner our later you'll get caught, he'll be deported, and you'll be in trouble with the police/ Borders & Custom agents.

7. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

I think the chances of guy getting hurt and squealing if you dont pay for hospital bills is much higher than you getting caught.....

If youre a risk taker..Make a verbal agreement that youwill pay those hospital bills if he keeps his trap shut..........If he is even worth that much to you in the first place.....

.......I know mine is..

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

hardly, you usually pay around 15 bucks an hour for a day labor. but keep in mind you are just getting a warm body with potentially no experience...no one ever claimed being legit was going to be cheap...

9. stotts1

stotts1 LawnSite Member

the only thing i would worry about is being a great big ****** BAG!!!! Come on man, really?:wall

10. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

if u get pulled over, the only thing the dumbass cops can do is ask for his ID. they cannot ask for green card unless they are the "el migra". your run of the mill $30,000 a year bumass cop doesnt have the authority to ask for green cards. just make sure he has an ID and hes all set. i have a friend who has a few workin for him and hes been pulled with them be4. Hell, the golf course i worked at had 15 of em and they are a HUGE rich country club. im all against supporting these immigrants, especially if they dont speaka tha english. mostly all of them have ID's though. fake or not, thats all they need. not sumthin i would go on here askin about.....big brother is WATCHING!!!!!