Using illegal workers in NY

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rsails, May 26, 2010.

1. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

:laugh: You must live in Arizona....

....Nothin wrong with givin a hardworkin man a job,,no matter what nationality he is....

2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Nationality has nothing to do with it. If they are from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, Somalia, CUBA or any where else and they are here ILLEGALLY, it is wrong and they should leave. And any company or individual or group of individuals that give them safe harbor, they or their representatives, should do prison time.
    I am half native American, Cherokee, so don't give me that crap about my ancestors being immigrants. My European ancestors came to America in the 1880's, LEGALLY from Germany and Ireland and you can guess about my native American ancestors.
    And you do know that most Mexicans consider the southwest USA to be theirs under USA occupation? My daughter is married to a man whom was born and raised in Mexico and came here LEGALLY and is now a naturalized citizen and he told me this is what he was taught in school.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

4. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have 4 legit workers.

My issue is that I can't find legal day labors for the couple of times a week that I need the extra help. I am not ready to add another full time employee.

Where I live and work getting full time help is hard enough, getting part time legal workers is next to impossible.

I am more than willing to pay a fair wage for good workers ($120-145/day). Just can't find them in my neck of the woods.

All I was looking for was what is my exposure.

5. limaint

limaint LawnSite Member
    from NY NY

I guess you live on long island... anyone that wants to work wants $200+ daily.

6. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Tough for me to justify $200/day to spread mulch and pull weeds from time to time

7. limaint

limaint LawnSite Member
    from NY NY

Exactly, seems like most people/ even college kids would rather sit home than work for less.

8. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to run a job want ad in the paper the week before your scheduled jobs to get people to work irregular hours. No one is going to keep themselves available at all times to work till you need them, would you?

When you do these jobs running ads the week before is what you have to do all the time. Factor that in as a cost of doing business and either be willing to make less or raise your estimates to maintain your profit margin.

Sorry, there really is no other viable answer to your labor problem with workers for a as needed basis.

9. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

In theory this is a great idea, but its not realistic. In my area, to run an ad just once in the classifieds in the weekly paper its $ 50.00, like rsails I only hire legit, legal workers full time, but if I need a day laborer here and there I'm not going to go play INS. I pay well but I'm not going to pay to loose my shirt. If I'm going to pay for a newspaper ad, and then pay the laborer, its the same as paying someone $ 200.

10. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Maybe a better way for me to ask the question:

Has anyone had any bad experience with hiring an illegal IE... with police, getting hurt on the job etc...

If so what was the outcome