Using J-B Weld

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by extracash, Mar 15, 2004.

1. extracash

extracash LawnSite Member
    from Central

On one of our mower engines, 10.5 HP/Briggs, the key slot on the main shaft is showing major wear. The drive pulley and supporting key are shot, and obviously, I can replace both of them, but what concerns me is the wear on shaft.

I know that if the new key and pulley do not fix the problem, then it is likely that the 'play' in the pulley will eventually destroy the engine. I can replace the engine shaft for big bucks, replace the engine for big bucks, or come up with some other strategy.

I spoke with a local small engine technician about welding the new key in place. This sounded great to me, but he indicated that the heat would probably be too much for the shaft. He suggested cold-welding with J-B Weld.

Have any of you used J-B Weld for this type of application? Thanks!
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If it has repeated movement and vibration J.B. weld won't hold. Just my .02
  3. extracash

from Central

IMOGRASS, thanks for the reply. I'm still struggling with why spot welding will not work. I have trouble believing that the heat from the spot weld will harm the shaft. Thoughts?
  4. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

I think JB weld would work well..Once everything is set and in place,it isn't going anywhere..JB
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

talk with another weldor to get another opinion. there is also (a sister site of LS) theres tons of good folks over there.
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You can MIG weld it, it doesnt heat up nearly as much as Arc welding. I dont see why it would damage it anyhow. IMO that JB Weld stuff is junk, i wouldnt ever use that stuff.
  7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a welder by trade. The problem with welding it is taking the temper out of the shaft. Also the heat will dispense through the shaft and could cause some problems. I wouldn't do it Tony
  8. extracash

from Central

Based upon your experience, what would you recommend? Would you try a cold-weld? Thanks!
  9. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I would try the JB weld, or maybe try putting a set screw through the pulley, if it doesn't already have one. Hope this helps, and good luck. Tony
  10. Every cut counts

Every cut counts LawnSite Member

Try a key cutter and cut a new one about 1/4 away around then jb the old key way up and smoth up with a grinder and sandpaper
    worked for me